Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Oman’s foreign minister spoke to his Israeli counterpart on Monday, Muscat said, the first contact since Israel normalized ties with the United Arab Emirates last week.Yusuf bin Alawi subsequently spoke with a top Palestinian official, Oman added.The Israel-UAE deal, announced by US President Donald Trump on Thursday, is only the third such accord Israel has struck with an Arab country, and raises the prospect of similar deals with other pro-Western Gulf states. Also Monday, bin Alawi spoke with senior Fatah official Jibril Rajub, who expressed his “appreciation of the role of the sultanate and its balanced and wise policy towards Arab issues and, foremost, the Palestinian question,” according to Oman’s foreign ministry.The Palestinian Authority has voiced its “strong rejection and condemnation” of the Israeli-Emirati deal. Topics : Bin Alawi and Israel’s Gabi Ashkenazi spoke via telephone about “recent developments in the region,” Oman’s foreign ministry said on Twitter.Muscat had already expressed its support for the deal, and bin Alawi told Ashkenazi that Oman “clearly reaffirms its position calling for a comprehensive, just and lasting peace” in the Middle East.Bin Alawi also called for a “resumption of the peace process in order to satisfy the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people who aspire to an independent state.”While Oman and Israel do not have formal diplomatic relations, there have been several contacts between the two states, including in 2018, when the late sultan Qaboos received Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Muscat.
Trump’s faces tough campaign He said that plasma would likely work much better right after a person was exposed to the virus, when the body is trying to neutralize the infection — the problem being that plasma supplies are limited, meaning it would be difficult to get enough to treat everyone in early stages of the disease.Trump told reporters the therapy shows “an incredible rate of success” and “will save countless lives”, but this went much further than his own health officials’ cautious welcome of the treatment.Challenged by a reporter to explain the apparent contradiction, Trump passed the question to one of his experts, then ended the press conference.The FDA already allowed convalescent plasma transfusions for coronavirus patients under certain conditions, such as clinical trials and gravely ill people.The Washington Post said that over 70,000 virus patients in the US have received such a transfusion.Trump has been widely criticized for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic in the US, which remains the world leader in infections and fatalities.He faces a tough re-election battle against Democratic challenger Joe Biden, with no effective treatment or vaccine expected before the vote on November 3. “This product may be effective in treating COVID-19 and… the known and potential benefits of the product outweigh the known and potential risks of the product,” FDA said in a statement.While the treatment has already been used on patients in the United States and other nations, the extent of its effectiveness is still debated by experts and some have warned that it could carry side effects.”Convalescent plasma probably works — though it still needs to be proven in clinical trials — but not as a rescue treatment for people who are already severely ill,” said Len Horovitz, a pulmonary specialist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. American authorities announced on Sunday an emergency authorization for doctors to use blood plasma from recovered coronavirus patients as a treatment against the disease that has killed over 176,000 in the US.The move by the Food and Drug Administration comes as President Donald Trump faces intense pressure to curb the contagion that has hobbled the world’s largest economy and clouded his once-promising prospects for re-election in November.The plasma is believed to contain powerful antibodies that can help fight off the disease faster and help protect people from being seriously hurt by it. Topics :
US President Donald Trump issued a disaster declaration on Sunday for Louisiana. He had previously issued a similar declaration for Puerto Rico.In New Orleans, Billy Wright spent his Sunday buying bottled water, non-perishable food and an attic ax, which can be used to chop through a roof if floodwaters block doors and windows. The 33-year-old attorney fiancée lives with his fiancée in a one-story house just blocks from a canal that failed during 2005’s Hurricane Katrina.”You’d rather have it and not need it than be stuck in your attic with rising floodwaters,” said Wright. “Getting two storms back to back is a big concern.”Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards warned that tropical storm-force winds would arrive by Monday and told residents that if they did not leave by Sunday night they should be prepared to ride out both Marco and Laura. Hurricane Marco and Tropical Storm Laura tore through the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico on Sunday, forcing thousands of coastal residents in Louisiana and Cuba to flee, and flooding roads in Haiti’s capital, with damage across the region expected to worsen this week.Marco, which strengthened into a hurricane on Sunday with sustained winds of 75 mph (120 kph), is forecast to make landfall along the Louisiana coast on Monday.Laura, which hit the Dominican Republic and Haiti earlier on Sunday, killing at least 10 people before striking Cuba on Sunday evening, is forecast to strengthen into a hurricane before making landfall in Texas or Louisiana on Thursday. Laura could strengthen into a Category 2 or 3 hurricane on the 5-step Saffir-Simpson scale for measuring hurricane intensity and move west, closer to Houston, said Chris Kerr, a meteorologist at DTN, an energy, agriculture and weather data provider.Category 2 storms have sustained winds of at least 96 mph (155 kph). The threshold for Category 3 storms is 111 mph (178 kph).In the Dominican Republic, at least three people died, including a mother and her 7-year-old son, due to collapsing walls. Laura knocked out power to more than a million people in that country, forced more than a thousand others to evacuate and collapsed several homes along the Isabela River, authorities said.In Port-au-Prince people wading waist-deep in muddy water in some of the worst flooding the Haitian capital has seen in years.Haitian authorities reported seven deaths, including at least two people swept away in flooding and a ten-year old girl crushed when a tree fell on her home. Coastal neighborhoods of the capital were strewn with debris.Laura hit eastern Cuba on Sunday evening with sustained winds of 60mph (95 kmph) downing trees and ripping flimsy roofing from buildings as it began a forecast 24-hour-treck from east to west along the southern coast of the largest island of the Caribbean.The Cuban government said power was cut in the easternmost province of Guantanamo and would be shut down province by province as winds picked up across the country as a preventive measure.Officials and residents, already exhausted by a six-month battle with the coronavirus pandemic and the severe scarcity it has brought, scrambled as Laura bore down to evacuate thousands along the coast and in inland areas vulnerable to flooding.Louisiana, Texas braceBack-to-back hurricanes hitting the US coast within days could result in a prolonged period of hazardous weather, the National Hurricane Center said on Sunday.The Federal Emergency Management Agency has sent teams to operations centers in Louisiana and Texas, spokesman Earl Armstrong said. The agency is prepared to handle back-to-back storms, he said, pointing to 2004 when four hurricanes took aim at Florida in a six-week period.Officials in Louisiana’s coastal Lafourche Parish ordered residents of low-lying areas to evacuate by noon on Sunday. The US Coast Guard also raised its warning for the Port of New Orleans, calling for ships to make plans to evacuate some areas.The storms added to worries about the spread of COVID-19. Tulane University, the largest private employer in New Orleans, said it will close its testing center on Monday.In Grand Isle, at Louisiana’s southern tip, authorities were placing sandbags to bolster its protective levy while energy companies pulled workers from offshore platforms and shut down oil production.Equinor has finished evacuating its Titan oil-production platform in the US Gulf of Mexico and shut-in oil production at the facility, a spokesman said on Sunday. BHP Group Plc also shut and evacuated its Shenzi and Neptune oil platforms, a spokeswoman said.Oil producers, including BP Plc, Chevron Corp and Royal Dutch Shell Plc, had shut 58% of the Gulf’s offshore oil production and 45% of natural gas production on Sunday. The region accounts for 17% of total US oil production and 5% of US natural gas output. Topics :
The 5th Grade St. Louis Cardinals Basketball team played St. Mary’s Greensburg Thursday night. The Cardinals played great as a team and kept St. Marys scoreless in the first quarter, while the Cardinals scored 14. St. Louis came back strong the second quarter and ended the half 22-8 in favor of the Cardinals. St. Mary’s outscored St. Louis in the third quarter 10-8, but the Cardinal held the lead 30-18. St. Louis finished off the game strong and pulled out a victory. The final score was St. Louis 41, St. Mary’s 22. Jaiden Kuria once again lead the scoring with 16 points, followed by Ben Greiwe with 9 points. Tyler Reder and Caleb Mohr both had 6 points and Jack Freeland had 4 points. Aiden Greiwe, Brady Wonell, Vincent Meneses, Leo Canessa, Jack Freeland and Sam Richardson helped hold St. Mary’s to 22 points with great defense. The Cards next home game is Monday night, please come out and cheer them on. Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Tim Reder.The Cardinals notched their first win of the season Thursday, November 1st versus St. Mary’s Greensburg by a score of 24-14. The Cardinals started off strong by scoring the games first 10 points and led 10 to 0 after the first quarter. Sam Laloge led the Cardinals in the hot start with the games first 6 points. Overall, St. Louis was led in scoring by Ben Miller with 10 points, followed by Laloge with 6 points, Henry Wanstrath with 4 points, Adam Meer with 2 points, and Santiago Schutte with 2 points. Marc Meneses led the team in rebounding with 4. Also collecting rebounds were Meer, Ryan Duerstock, Schutte, Sully Hill, Laloge, and Max Amberger. The boys have been working hard at sharing the basketball and Henry Wanstrath led the way with 3 assists. Also contributing with assists were Christian Mack and Duerstock. Zavier Tekulve and Max Richardson did a nice job defensively each collecting a steal and tying up some loose balls. The Cardinals are back in action on Monday, November 5th when they take on Mt. Carmel at home. Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Ryan Tekulve.The St Louis Cardinals 8th grade Basketball team opened up their season on the road tonight against the Jac Cen Del Eagles and picked up their 1st win by a score of 42-37. The Cardinals will be on the road again next Monday night (November 5th) as they face St. Mary’s Catholic School in Greensburg. Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Ryan Schebler.
Statewide—As of the last Indiana health department report for the week ending November 30, 47% of the flu cases were for children between 0-4 and 36% of all reported flu cases were for people between the ages of 5-24 years old. There have been 3 flu-associated deaths reported so far this season in Indiana. All were in the 65+ age range. Jefferson County’s Rykers’ Ridge Elementary is having an E-Learning Day today to allow students who are ill to stay home and students who are well to avoid the outbreak of Influenza B, strep throat and respiratory illness that saw 48 students (about 25%) stay home sick Thursday.The Center for Disease Control says the flu shot is the best protection for all ages against the flu. They offer these other tips for preventionAvoid close contact.Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sickStay home when you are sick.If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. This will help prevent spreading your illness to others.Cover your mouth and nose.Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick. Flu and other serious respiratory illnesses, like respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), whooping cough, and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), are spread by cough, sneezing, or unclean hands.Clean your hands.Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.Practice other good health habits.Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is ill. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
St. Leon, IN— The American Legion Post #464-St. Joseph Post is hosting a blood drive today from 1:30 pm to 7:30 pm in conjunction with Hoxworth Blood Center. Appointments are required. So call 513.451.0910 or click here to sign up online.
RelatedPosts Akpeyi’s South African club gets new coach Akwa Ibom indigenes in South Africa worry over high unemployment in state 11 Nigerians die of COVID-19 in South Africa — Union Enyimba International Football Club of Aba on Sunday booked a spot in the group stage of the CAF Confederation Cup following a 2-1 away win against South African side TS Galaxy.News Agency of Nigeria reports that the match played at the Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit, South Africa was a return leg fixture of the playoff round.The Peoples’ Elephant won the contest 4-1 on aggregate having edged out the South African Division One club 2-0 in the first leg a week earlier at the Enyimba International Stadium, Aba.Ghanaian defender, Daniel Darkwah, put Enyimba ahead in the 76th minute.Martins Usule who scored the second goal in the first leg then put the game beyond the hosts by netting another eight minutes from time.The home team got a consolation goal a minute from time through Siyaduma Mashego.The Nigeria Professional Football League club giants are looking to become the first Nigerian club to win the CAF Confederation Cup. Tags: South Africa
RelatedPosts Eunisell Boot: The five men giving their best shots Auwalu, Effiong emerge new leaders in Eunisell Boot race NPFL: Akwa United star first to reach double figures in battle for Eunisell Boot Rangers forward, Israel Abia, missed a big chance to go in front in the battle for the Eunisell Boot over the weekend, when he fluffed a spot-kick in his team’s 0-0 draw at MFM FC in a Nigeria Professional Football League match on Sunday. Abia, currently tied on 10 goals with Akwa United’s Ndifreke Effiong, would have moved one goal clear if he had converted a 50th-minute penalty at the Agege Stadium. He fired his attempt from 12 yards over the bar, which leaves the race for the Eunisell Boot wide open. However, there is a new entrant in the race for the coveted award that is given the league’s leading marksman by the sponsors of the award. Kano Pillars striker, Auwalu Ali, has moved up in the chart, after scoring twice to secure a 2-2 draw at Lobi Stars for his club in a thrilling contest at the Aper Aku Stadium in Makurdi. Auwalu now joins Victor Mbaoma of Enyimba on nine goals as the race for this season’s prestigious award is gradually inching closer to the finish line with 15 match weeks remaining. The race for the Eunisell Boot continues with 10 matches on Matchday 24 on March 15.Tags: Agege StadiumAper AkuEunisell BootNdifreke Effiong
Since the move was agreed, Foulds has appeared on a trial basis for Everton’s Under-18 and Under-21 sides. Press Association The two clubs agreed an undisclosed fee for the Shakers’ academy graduate back in November and Foulds is now officially a Toffees player after the transfer window reopened. Foulds signed his first professional contract with Sky Bet League One club Bury in February and made two first-team appearances for David Flitcroft’s side, in the Capital One Cup clash with Leicester and the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy game against Accrington. Defender Matty Foulds has completed his move from Bury to Barclays Premier League club Everton.