Govt calls for overhaul of sex education

first_imgNZ Herald 7 March 2014Respectful attitudes to sex would become a core part of sex education in schools under an overhaul recommended to the Government.The revamp would aim to broaden the subject beyond a narrow focus on the physical mechanics of sex and reproduction.The proposal has come from Parliament’s health select committee after a cross-party inquiry which found New Zealand’s high teenage-pregnancy rate was partly the result of inconsistent and sometimes non-existent sexual and reproductive lessons in schools.Sex education is mandatory, but the 18-month inquiry found programmes were “fragmented and uneven”, parents were able to keep children out of them and classes often focused on physical aspects of sex.The select committee recommended that the Government give all schools two years to create programmes that meet Ministry of Health standards.‘Allow families to decide’A former board of trustees member who resigned over “unacceptable” sex education classes at her school opposes recommendations that sex education programmes be mandatory for all schoolchildren.Jo-Anne Sim resigned last month as a trustee of the Blaketown Primary School on the West Coast after a teacher taught what Ms Sim said were explicit lessons that were not appropriate for Year 7 and 8 pupils.The classes included discussion about oral and anal sex, flavoured condoms, and pleasure points – despite parents having been told in writing beforehand that pupils would be taught only the basics.Ms Sim said families should be given a choice when it came to educating their children about sexual health.“Some parents like to be the people who give that advice in the family and guide the children at the right time,” she said.But if sex education was to be taught in schools, it had to be by a health professional.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11215360last_img read more

Area Basketball Scores (12-4)

first_imgArea Basketball ScoresWednesday  (12-4)Girls Scores.Jac-Cen-Del  64     Hauser  34Union County  54     Connersville  21Madison  50     Floyd Central  37Boys Scores.Covington Holmes  91     South Dearborn  72last_img

No. 10 Syracuse loses 2nd-straight match, upset by Boston College

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on February 3, 2019 at 3:30 pm Contact Eric: estorms@syr.educenter_img Syracuse reached its highest ITA ranking in program history on Wednesday, coming in at No. 10. Since then, the Orange (4-2, 0-2 Atlantic Coast) have lost two-straight. Following a loss on Friday to No. 19 Virginia, SU couldn’t get by Boston College (7-0, 1-0) on the road Sunday in Chestnut Hill, 4-3. Things got off to a rocky start for the Orange as Boston College’s duo of Dasha Possokhova and Elene Tsokilauri took down SU’s Sofya Golubovskaya and Sofya Treshcheva, 6-3. While Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez were able to win their match, 7-5, Dina Hegab and Guzal Yusupova would then drop their matchup to give up the doubles point.No. 43 Knutson then struggled against BC’s Yufei Long, losing in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Already up 2-0, Boston College collected another point as Ramirez lost in three sets. Ramirez won her first set 6-3 before losing the next two, 6-3 and 6-4. But then SU made a run. No. 92 Golubovskaya took Kylie Wilcox into three sets and won 6-4. Yusupova also was forced into three sets but came out with a critical 7-5 third set win. Down 3-2, Treshcheva pulled out a win in straight sets — 6-3, 6-2. That put the match in the hands of Hegab and Boston College’s Laura Lopez. Hegab won the clinching point in both matches last week, but couldn’t muster a comeback on Sunday. She lost in two sets — 7-6, 6-3 — giving BC the 4-3 match win.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyracuse will look to get back on track next weekend in Seattle for the ITA National Indoor Championships.last_img read more