The Army is ready for the long haul in holding onto its position in the Doklam area near the Bhutan tri-junction, notwithstanding China ratcheting up rhetoric against India, demanding pulling back of its troops.The soldiers deployed in the disputed area have pitched tents, in an indication that they are unlikely to retreat unless there was reciprocity from Chinese personnel in ending the face-off at an altitude of around 10,000 feet in the Sikkim section.A steady line of supplies is being maintained for the soldiers at the site, official sources said, signalling that the Army is not going to wilt under any pressure from China. At the same time, they sounded confident of finding a diplomatic solution to the dispute, citing resolution of border skirmishes in the past through diplomacy.Though China has been aggressively asserting that it was not ready for any “compromise” and that the “ball is in India’s court”, the view in the security establishment here is that there cannot be any unilateral approach in defusing the tension.Security implicationsBoth the countries had agreed to a mechanism in 2012 to resolve border flare-ups through consultations at various levels.The mechanism has not worked so far in the current case as the standoff near the Bhutan trijunction, triggered by China’s attempt to build a road in the strategically important area, has dragged on for over three weeks.New Delhi has already conveyed to Beijing that such an action would represent a significant change of status quo with “serious” security implications for India. The road link could give China a major military advantage over India.Doka La is the Indian name for the region which Bhutan recognises as Dokalam, while China claims it as part of its Donglang region. China and Bhutan are engaged in talks. India argues that since it is a tri-junction involving the three countries, it also has a say in the issue.
Police on Wednesday arrested commandant of the Tripura State Rifles (TSR) Tapan Debbarma, in connection with the killing of senior journalist Sudip Datta Bhowmik at the 2nd battalion headquarters near here on Tuesday. His personal bodyguard Nandalal was earlier arrested for shooting down the journalist allegedly on the instructions of the commandant.Both the accused booked under IPC Sections 302, 109 and 27 of the Arms Act were sent to police remand for a period of 10 days when they were produced before the west Tripura Chief Judicial Magistrate. They have been kept at a city police station for interrogation by the CID, which has been entrusted with the investigation.Initial interrogation of accused rifleman Nandalal revealed that the killing of Mr. Bhowmik occurred inside the office chamber of Mr. Tapan. “He told us that despite his reluctance the commandant forced him to open fire,” a police officer told The Hindu on condition of anonymity.“After firing a single shot from his AK 47 automatic weapon, Nandalal became nervous and hurriedly left the room leaving the journalist in a pool of blood. The commandant let the critically wounded journalist die without medical attention.”The senior crime reporter had written 11 articles in daily Syandan Patrika against massive financial irregularities in the 2nd battalion of TSR.
Facebook A lawsuit filed against Netflix and Warner Bros. by the Satanic Temple over use of the group’s goat-headed statue in the Vancouver-filmed TV show The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has been settled out of court, according to the group.In a statement posted here, the Satanic Temple says it “is pleased to announce that the lawsuit it recently filed against Warner Bros. and Netflix has been amicably settled.”The temple filed the suit in New York alleging copyright violation of its Baphomet with Children statue. Advertisement Advertisement A lawsuit filed against Netflix and Warner Bros. by the Satanic Temple over use of the group’s goat-headed statue in the Vancouver-filmed TV show The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has been settled out of court. NETFLIX Advertisement Twitter Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment “The unique elements of the Satanic Temple’s Baphomet statue have been acknowledged in the credits of episodes which have already been filmed,” the statement says.Temple spokesperson Lucien Greaves wrote that the statue would be acknowledged in the credits of Sabrina episodes Netflix aired before the lawsuit.Greaves said the temple had received hate mail from people accusing it of being a powerful Satanic organization “using its might to bully an uncertain and innocent teenage witch who has just been newly exposed to the wide, cruel world.”According to a report in The New York Times, the plaintiffs asked for at least $50 million for each alleged infraction: copyright infringement, trademark violation and injury to the business’ reputation. They also requested an injunction barring the companies from redistributing the series with the image of the statue.No details of the settlement have been released because of a confidentiality agreement.Netflix referred all calls to Warner Bros. Paul McGuire, a spokesman for Warner Bros. confirmed there was a settlement, in an email, but provided no other information.Netflix is filming parts of the second season of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina — the latest adaptation of the Sabrina the Teenage Witch comic books in Cloverdale.The show, which stars Kiernan Shipka, has been well received by critics since all 10 episodes of Season 1 started streaming on Netflix on Oct. 26. The show boasts an 89 per cent “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes.BY TIFFANY CRAWFORD | VANCOUVER SUNWith a file from Scott Brown