The ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ scheme seems to be not working in favour of many in Odisha, according to a survey that found that hundreds of people have not been provided rice through the Public Distribution System for two months due to non-seeding of Aadhaar. The study also found that exclusion due to Aadhaar linking is more prevalent in tribal areas.A study of 63 villages in Nabarangpur district found that out of 1,271 people in 272 households surveyed, 435 have not been provided PDS rice for September and October due to non-seeding of Aadhaar. Out of these, 35% are children between 0-10 years of age.The survey was conducted during the first week of October by the Odisha chapter of the National Right to Food Campaign, an informal network of organisations and individuals working on right to food issues.PDS rice for two months was distributed in Kalahandi-Bolangir-Koraput area from September 20 to 30, according to Sameet Panda of the food campaign.Ineligible personsOut of 272 families, there were 17 households having a total of 50 members who have not received grain for September and October as none of the family members were seeded in PDS-Aadhaar.There are 255 such families where Aadhaar of one or more family members has not been seeded. There are 385 persons across these 255 households who have not been seeded into Aadhaar, so their names have been eliminated.The survey found that there are 17 persons who are ineligible. They include those dead; female members married outside; and not available in the village.Out of 435 persons whose Aadhaar has not been seeded, 185 persons don’t have Aadhaar. The survey team met those who have applied for Aadhaar several times but have not received it so far, said Mr. Panda.There are 228 persons who have an Aadhaar number but it has not been seeded yet. Out of them, 72 persons have submitted their Aadhaar in the gram panchayat but they don’t know why it has not been seeded. There are 17 such persons whose Aadhaar number is reflected in the PDS card but their name has been deleted.
The government on Sunday downplayed the row between the Indian and Pakistan navies and ruled out any adverse fallout of the incident on the Indo-Pak foreign secretary talks scheduled in Islamabad on June 23-24.Over the past two days, Islamabad and New Delhi have exchanged charges on reported “dangerous manoeuvres” carried out by each other’s warships in the Gulf of Aden.It all started with Pakistani official protesting against aggression by INS Godavari towards PNS Babur, when the latter was escorting the freed vessel MV Suez to Oman.It has been learnt that Indian ships had earlier run into trouble with PNS Babur in January and November last year as well.However, senior officials in New Delhi sought to downplay the issue and ruled out any impact on the talks later this week, which India is approaching with “an open and constructive mind”.The talks are likely to result in the announcement of key confi-dence building measures (CBMs) in areas of nuclear security, trade and cross LoC connectivity.The government does not want to up the ante ahead of the bilateral talks after it decided last February to virtually resume the ‘composite dialogue’ process that was suspended as a mark of protest after the 26/11 attack.Firing from across the LoC and increase in infiltration attempts into J&K have been a common phenomenon ahead of high level talks between the two countries.Sources said foreign secretary Nirupama Rao will be going to Islamabad with “realistic expectations” and that the two sides would try to build upon theprogress achieved in the past on various issues.advertisementIt was also pointed out that cross-border terror aimed at India would be a key component of the dialogue.”Our concerns have not, in any way, diminished by the resumption of the dialogue…How can we not take up our concerns of terrorism? It is central to our concerns,” a senior source said.The government is also disappointed with the glacial pace of the ongoing 26/11 trial in Pakistan, as the judge was changed for the fourth time recently.Sources said India has provided all documents and evidence and sought a satisfactory closure to the case.”It is not behind us,” the source said, adding that Rao and her delegation will also discuss the larger conspiracy that has emerged in the trial of Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley who has testified in a Chicago court on the links between the ISI and terror groups and the spy agency’s role in the 26/11 attacks.For more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.