The Texas Football Team Sent Rooster Teeth A Signed Ball To Pay Tribute To The Late Monty Oum

first_imgTexas sends signed ball to Rooster Teeth.Two weeks ago, world-famous web animator Monty Oum, who worked for an Austin-based production company called Rooster Teeth, passed away unexpectedly after suffering an allergic reaction during a routine medical procedure that left him in a coma. In response, his employer asked that anyone who was looking to pay tribute did so creatively – instead of simply sending flowers or gifts.Charlie Strong and the Texas Longhorns, who are also based in Austin, have obliged. The program put together a tribute ball signed by every player. Alan Abdine, director of business development at Rooster Teeth, thanked the Longhorns on Twitter.Huge thanks to Matt Sims and the @Longhorn_FB team from all of us at @RoosterTeeth for the #MontyOum tribute ball. pic.twitter.com/yXpwi8ngms— Alan Abdine (@abdine) February 17, 2015Very cool. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Oum’s family, friends and coworkers.last_img read more

Pompeo visits Micronesia courts Pacific allies in face of Chinese competition

first_imgPohnpei: Mike Pompeo became the first US Secretary of State to visit Micronesia Monday, as Washington’s signalled a renewed interest in its Pacific allies, no matter how small, in the face of regional competition with China. Pompeo touched down on the paradise island of Pohnpei where he will spend a few hours meeting leaders from Micronesia’s Federated States, as well as neighbouring micro-states like Palau and the Marshall Islands. The diplomatic courtship follows a visit by Pacific Island leaders to the White House earlier this year, part of America’s drive for a “free and open” Indo-Pacific to counter China’s increasingly muscular and expansionist policies. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US”It’s still a major strategic area, and this isn’t new,” said a senior State Department official noting past ties. “Now, the level of interaction is clearly elevated.” Elizabeth Economy of the Council on Foreign Relations told AFP that over the past year, the US had “worked aggressively” to shore up its position in the Pacific Islands region, considering it “of significant strategic interest”. Hugging the equator, the Federated States of Micronesia are scattered along nearly 3,000 kilometres (1,900 miles) of the Pacific, a significant area given Sino-American disputes over freedom of navigation in ocean waterways. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsWashington is no stranger to the Federation — which brings together four island states and more than 600 islands and atolls — thanks to a compact that guarantees US development aid and military protection. Formerly part of the Caroline Islands, which were American trust territories, the federation signed a Compact of Free Association with the United States on gaining independence more than three decades ago. Those agreements are set to be renewed in coming years. In the meantime, China has launched a regional charm offensive that has alarmed the Trump administration, offering infrastructure loans and seemingly trying to have the Marshall Islands and Palau break off diplomatic relations with Taiwan. “The United States can no longer afford to take the Pacific Islands for granted,” said Economy. At times the United States has looked to these island states at the United Nations — when their voice is equal to any other state — in looking for support for issues such as recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. But the major point of difference remains climate change, an existential challenge for low-lying nations but a trend that the Trump administration has variously dismissed as a hoax or unimportant.last_img read more

Nunavut loses only animal shelter

first_imgAPTN National NewsNunavut’s only animal shelter is closed.But what does that mean for the animals they have saved for the past four years and what does it mean for public safety?APTN National News reporter Wayne Rivers has this story.last_img

Barca boss wants to win Champions League and La Liga

first_imgBarcelona boss Ernesto Valverde was asked about Valladolid, the state of their pitch and the controversial plan for the Blaugrana’s trip to Girona on January 27 being played in the US and this is what he says:“The newly-promoted teams play with enthusiasm early on. They still have the joy of promotion on their minds and channel it on to the field,” he said as quoted by Football Espana.“They’re a dangerous team, so we must take that into account. It’s not normal to relay the pitch four days before a match, although Camp Nou isn’t at its best either.“The players are an important part of the show. They have a voice and something to say. They only want to be heard.”Finally, does Valverde believe Real Madrid are weakened by Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit?David Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“It’s a similar situation to ours with Neymar, which gave us the strength to grow. I see them in the same way,” he concluded.“I want to win the Champions League like everyone else, as well as La Liga. It’s normal to get excited.”Barca squad for Valladolid: Ter Stegen, Ezkieta; Semedo, Sergi Roberto, Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet, Alba; Busquets, Rakitic, Coutinho, Arthur, Arturo Vidal; Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Malcom, Munirlast_img read more

Simone Inzaghi backs brother Filippo at Bologna

first_imgLazio manager Simone Inzaghi believes his brother Filippo can turn things around at Bologna, despite beating his team 2-0 on Boxing Day.Lazio versus Bologna on Wednesday afternoon pitted the two brothers against each other in the dugout, but Simone’s Lazio came out victorious with a 2-0 win.It was the first time the two brothers had faced each other as managers.Bologna is left in the relegation zone after the defeat, but Simeone has faith in his brother to change the club’s fortunes.“I think they’re just missing incidents going their way,” Simone Inzaghi said in his post-match Press conference quoted in Football Italia.Mario BalotelliCorini tells Balotelli to “raise his game” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 According to the Brescia coach, Mario Balotelli “needs to raise his game if he wants to face Juventus” as his team is set to host Bologna.“I’m convinced that with the attitude of the second half and recent games, Bologna can get out of this.“When you look at both the European race and the relegation battle there’s not much in it. There are teams who are higher up whose season has hinged on an incident.“Look at Sampdoria after [Riccardo] Saponara’s goal against us.”last_img read more

Indian Navy to get 10 Kamov Ka31 AWACS helicopters in Rs 3600

first_imgReutersIn a major addition to the Indian Navy’s surveillance, the Ministry of Defence has approved the procurement of 10 Kamov Ka-31 Airborne Early Warning and Control helicopters. The total cost of the deal is expected to be around Rs 3,600 crore and 10 helicopters would be deployed on the aircraft carriers and warships including the INS Vikrant and Grigorovich-class frigates. Currently, apart from Russia, India and China use the chopper for its Navy. The main utility of the Ka-31 is a long-range detection airborne and naval threats.The helicopter has the ability to track targets over the much larger horizon than ship’s radars. The helicopter provides an important completion for the naval task force, whose ships are too small to operate carrier-borne early warning aircraft. Moreover, the Ka-31 is also capable of carrying out operations in the sea and anti-submarine warfare operations.Notably, the Indian Navy already has a fleet of Russian Kamov-28 and US made Sea-king choppers which were inducted in the service way back in the 1980s and require upgrades for future use. The election season has not affected the daily operations of the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) and Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS). The meetings are being held as per the plans to clear the important acquisitions for the forces. US Navy Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk helicopters. The MH-60 Seahawk is the frontrunner to bag the Indian Navy contract for NMRH helicopters.Lockheed MartinGoing forward, the deal would be tabled for negotiations with the Russian counterparts post the cabinet committee on security would take up the final call. Apparently, Indian defence forces are on modernisation spree where the equipment across tri-services is being upgraded. In March, India decided to procure assault rifles, ammunition, and several other specialised types of equipment from the United States. Para (SF), Marcos and Garud commandos are the special forces of India Army, Navy and Air force respectively. Moreover, the India Air Force has also inducted the first squadron of the US made “Chinook” heavy-lift chopper.last_img read more

In a first Sensex crosses 31000mark Nifty nears 9600 level

first_imgHealthy buying in metal and automobile stocks, and a strong rupee took the Indian equity markets to a record high during the mid-afternoon trade session on Friday.The 30-scrip Sensitive Index (Sensex) of the BSE crossed the 31,000 mark for the first time to touch a new high of 31,034.30 points intra-day. At 1.45 pm the Sensex traded at 31,008.24 points — up 258.21 points or 0.84 per cent from its previous close at 30,750.03 points.The wider 51-scrip NSE Nifty also traded close to the important 9,600 level. It traded at 9,584.10 points — up 74.35 points or 0.78 per cent.The Nifty, too, touched a new high of 9,592.15 points intra-day.last_img read more

Nahid asks students to return to classes

first_imgNurul Islam NahidEducation minister Nurul Islam Nahid on Saturday urged the students to calm down and return to classes saying that the government has taken steps for fulfilling their demands, reports UNB.The minister made the urge while talking to reporters after attending the convocation ceremony of Metropolitan University in Sylhet.Expressing shock at the death of two college students in a recent road crash in Dhaka, Nahid urged the protesters to be patient and return to their classes.The government has taken all the necessary steps to fulfill the demands of students and stood beside the families of the deceased students and taken the responsibilities of treatment of injured ones, the minister said.”The students must realize that blocking the road day after day will cause misery to the citizens, this should not be a form of movement”, he said.He hoped that now the students will return to their classes and their demands will be fulfilled in phases.last_img read more

4 die in California hostage standoff

first_imgLaw enforcement personnel are seen near a building after an active shooter turned hostage situation at the Veterans Home of California on 9 March 2018 in Yountville, California. AFPA gunman and three women thought to be his hostages were found dead Friday at a California veterans home after an hours-long standoff with police.The assailant struck at 10:20am (1820 GMT) at the Veterans Home of California-Yountville in the Napa Valley, the largest veterans’ home in the United States with around 1,000 former servicemen and women.“Shortly before 6:00pm this evening law enforcement personnel made entry into the room where we felt the hostages were being held by the suspect and unfortunately made the discovery of three deceased females and one deceased male suspect,” Captain Chris Childs of the California Highway Patrol told a news conference.“This is a tragic piece of news, one we were really hoping we wouldn’t have to come before the public to give.”The Napa County Sheriff’s Office had earlier issued an advisory on social media telling people to avoid the area following reports of gunfire, as the California Highway Patrol dispatched officers, air support and a SWAT team to the site.Childs said a sheriff’s deputy who was first on the scene exchanged fire with the suspect, adding that “we credit him with saving the lives of others in the area by eliminating the ability for the suspect to go out and find further victims.”The three victims were described by local media as employees of The Pathway Home, an on-site counselling service for veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).It was not immediately clear whether they had been targeted or were chosen at random.The San Francisco Chronicle said the gunman-apparently a 36-year-old war veteran wearing “a stash of bullets” around his neck and waist-had been on the PTSD treatment program, adding that his weapon was a rifle.Gunman was calmIt quoted state senator Bill Dodd identifying the program’s executive director, Christine Loeber, as being one of the dead, although the victims’ names have not been officially released.Police did not say how they died, although local media, citing unnamed sources, reported that the assailant shot the three women before turning the gun on himself.Dodd, whose district includes the centre, said the gunman had been asked to leave several days earlier, according to the Chronicle.“It’s a residential program so guys live in the building, staff work in the building,” Larry Kamer, whose wife Devereaux Smith was working at the centre, told the local ABC7 News channel.Smith, a development director for The Pathway Home, was one of four women released by the gunman, said Kamer.“There was a going away party for a couple of the staff who were leaving today. They were having cake and toasting and all that and then he apparently just walked in with this rifle.”Kamer said the gunman was calm and talked to everyone present.The discovery came after several fruitless hours of trying to contact the man by the sheriff’s department, City of Napa Police and the FBI.California Department of Veterans Affairs secretary Vito Imbasciani said in a statement the agency was “devastated” by the deaths.“Our hearts are heavy for the entire Yountville Veterans Home community and the families and friends who are grieving for those who died,” he added.“Nothing matters more than caring for our veterans and employees during this difficult time. We appreciate the tremendous law enforcement response today and unfailing support of this community.”last_img read more

Judge grants temporary suspension on Gran Solaris hotel project in Cancun

first_imgCancun, Q.R. — A temporary suspension has been granted by the superior court of justice in Cancun regarding the construction of the Gran Solaris hotel.The Constitutional Chamber of the Superior Court of Justice has granted an Amparo to the Asociación Salvemos Manglar Tajamar in the case of the Gran Solaris hotel project that was to be built at Playa Delfines in the Cancun Hotel Zone.Through a statement, the association explained that they promoted a contentious administrative trial against several authorities, one of which was the Benito Juárez City Council and its different addresses that granted permits to the hotel.The company Villas Solaris S of RL de CV obtained the municipal permits for the construction as well as the authorization for the project from the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat) for a complex next to Playa Delfines.Felipe Villanueva, director of Municipal Ecology explained that the company does not have a clearing permit and have argued that they not to need the permit, however he says the permit is an indispensable requirement.According to the Environmental Impact Statement (MIA), the completed hotel would have consisted of 449 rooms with an investment of $90 million USD, however, councilors say that the unification of the land is not valid since it was registered on land that does not exist. There is also the controversy that the project was initially approved for 180 rooms, not 449.The Benito Juárez City Council continues to extend the case of Gran Solaris. Guillermo Brahams González, secretary General of Benito Juárez Town Hall said “The process to follow is for the liquidator to determine what will happen, although they will have to go to Cabildo and find out if there would be a revocation of the construction license issued by the City Council.”The Ecology Department has determined that the hotel does not have permits for construction. The current suspension of the project is temporary and is expected to be brought before courts again in a few weeks.Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)last_img read more

August 26 2002 Precast panels are formed up in ev

first_imgAugust 26, 2002 Precast panels areformed up in every available space of the second floor of the EastCrescent. Each panel is cast as close as possible to its finallocation. This pour on August 19. included panel #54, an outside panelfor Unit 6, and panel #44 [in the background], a doorway panel for Unit7. [Photo & text: SA] The concrete israked into place by planning intern Scott Airlie and workshopper TaylorMitchell. [Photo & text: SA] A fresh batch ofconcrete is hoisted into position. Everybody got out of the way, whileconstruction foreman Ray Shong and habitat manager Dave Tollas areguiding the bucket into position. [Photo & text: SA] Once the bucket isin place everyone rushes back into action. [Photo & text: SA] The concrete mixercrew is hosing down the truck. Volunteer Daisuke Nakamishi, driverGabriel Hendrix and crew-leader Jeff Masty. [Photo & text: SA] The crew isfinishing up the panel. [Photo & text: SA] Another pourcomplete and workshopper Taylor Mitchell is sweeping up. [Photo & text:SA]last_img read more

Channel distributor Thema is providing a range of

first_imgChannel distributor Thema is providing a range of distribution and playout services for Cape Verde broadcaster Television of Cape Verde (TCV).Under the terms of its deal, Thema is the exclusive distributor of TCV. The company is also providing playout and uplink of TCV to the Eutelsat W2A satellite at 10° East, enabling the broadcaster to reach Cape Verde expatriate audiences in Africa and Europe.Thema said it had initiated commercial negotiations with distribution partners, with upcoming launches of the channel scheduled in Portugal, the main centre for Cape Verde immigrants in Europe.last_img read more