No transgression of the law

first_img In the incident being debated, it must be borne in mind that no transgression of the law was incurred by the bowler who was entitled to run out the batsman. The ball was in play, the dismissal was lawfully executed and no warning, which is regarded as a convention, was necessary. An appeal was made, the decision was correct; the match was lawfully won and accepted without any criticism or inappropriate comment from the defeated captain, which would in itself be an offence. These are the salient points which are most relevant to the issue, and the frivolous accusation of not adhering to what is only a custom is unfounded and of secondary importance. The only option available to overcome the decision was for the captain to seek the permission of the umpire for him (the captain) to withdraw the appeal in an act of sportsmanship. Not choosing to do so must not be construed as not playing the game within its spirit, and the question to be asked is, how can an incident be regarded as disgraceful and unbelievable when there was adherence to the relevant law? To regard it as such, as some critics have described it, is not only ludicrous but demonstrates a total disregard for logic and an example of one’s erroneous interpretation of the law. It is well known that the only reason why a non-striker leaves the popping crease before the delivery, or an athlete leaves his mark before the starter’s gun goes off, is to gain an unfair advantage or to get a ‘jump start’, as some would say, and this the law regards as unfair and therefore incurs a penalty when transgressed. What I consider as dishonest and unacceptable is that it is permissible for a batsman to challenge the decision on being given out caught behind by the wicketkeeper off an obvious clean catch of which he, the batsman, is cognisant that he had played and must have felt and heard. Under the Television (TV) Replay System, requesting the umpire for a review is not regarded as against the spirit of the game, but in my opinion it is tantamount to an umpire’s decision being disputed. I also regard it as against the spirit of the game when the wicketkeeper intentionally appeals for a catch in an effort to mislead the umpire and to avoid a wide being signalled. In the highest format of the game, it is replete with instances where the spirit of the game is being ignored and considered trivial, such as employing time-wasting tactics to avoid another over being bowled, an experience of all umpires. It is reported, in the recent case, that the standing umpire sought confirmation as to the seriousness of the appeal before the decision was made. This I regard as inappropriate as the fielding side had already signalled their position by appealing. This could give the impression that the umpire is exhibiting a lack of neutrality and partiality, which are among his personal attributes and an indication also that the spirit of cricket has priority over the breaching and application of the law. In the final analysis, it is unquestionable that if cricket is to maintain the high reputation that it enjoys among sports, adherence to its laws, and display of sportsmanship when depending on the circumstances, as well as respect for those participating are the objectives which must be the primary aim of those involved. • John (Johnny) Gayle is a retired Test cricket umpire and cricket administrator. According to the internationally recognised and definitive guide to the interpretation and application of the laws of cricket and which is approved by the MCC and adopted by the ICC, the spirit of the game involves your opponents, your captain and team, the role of the umpire and the traditional values of the game. It is also mentioned that to dispute an umpire’s decision by word, action, or gesture, to indulge in cheating and to distract an opponent while batting are offences against the spirit of the game and brings it into disrepute. Among the 13 offences in the laws which are indicative of injustices is the ‘Batsmen Stealing a Run’ listed under that significant law Fair and Unfair Play (Law 42). Leaving your crease before the delivery is a tactic frequently used. It is an unfair strategy and a violation of the law which must have precedence over any other consideration. Simultaneously, it is permissible for the bowler to run out the non-striker before the delivery. This revised law (Law 38) now emphatically states that “Either batsman is out run out if at any time while the ball is in play he is out of his ground and his wicket is fairly put down by the action of a fielder.” Wasting tactics The circumstances surrounding the dismissal of the non-striker which allowed the West Indies Under-19 team to be victorious in the recent ICC World Cup has generated much controversy, with the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) chief executive Dave Richardson also giving his personal view on the matter. It has prompted me in my capacity as a retired umpire and an enthusiast of the game to express my view on the dispute as it relates to the playing of cricket within its spirit, which is the responsibility of the captain and the application of the law by the umpire. Various interpretations seem to exist of what is meant by the spirit of cricket. In the revised edition of the textbook Cricket Umpiring and Scoring, it is clarified in the preface – The Preamble – The Spirit of Cricket. Umpire’s decision Lawfully executedlast_img read more

ONE: After getting a degree, Osenio eyes triumphant return to the ring

first_imgIt’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Seeing how the famed Team Lakay suffered a string of losses in the past few months, the Igorot atomweight is determined to pick up the slack and hoist the Philippine flag high and proud to end the year on a positive note.“It was a motivation for me, on what happened to coach Eduard (Folayang), Gina (Iniong), and the like. The year is coming to a close so I think I need to work hard too,” she said.Though it has been over a year since she tapped out to Jenny Huang, Osenio is convinced that she’s more than prepared for this new challenge, shrugging off talks about rust.“There’s always pressure, but I know I can do this. I really prepared for this because this is my career and I should take good care of it,” she said.And if there’s something Osenio learned from getting her degree that she’ll take to the cage, it’s this: “Self-defense,” she said.ADVERTISEMENT View comments MOST READ Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? LATEST STORIES “I never stopped. It was studies-training-studies-training for me except for the three months I had for OJT,” she shared in Filipino.With her seniors at Team Lakay as inspiration, Osenio momentarily stepped away from the cage to earn her diploma, looking beyond her mixed martial arts career.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBrian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense“My seniors in Team Lakay was my motivation. Everyone of them had degrees so I thought I also need that. It’s like a parachute, that if ever I end my fighting career, I could do something else,” she admitted.But for now, Osenio (2-2) is looking to make a triumphant return when she faces Chinese Xiong Jingnan (9-1) at ONE: Warriors of the World on Saturday here. Alab Pilipinas upends Meralco in tune-up Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set April Osenio. Photo by Randolph B. Leongson/ INQUIRER.netBANGKOK — April Osenio may have been inactive in the ring for over a year, but that doesn’t mean she stopped training.While finishing her criminology degree at the University of the Cordilleras, the 23-year-old still maintained her training regimen with her Team Lakay stablemates.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight PLAY LIST 00:52ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight01:04Team Lakay’s rough start lights a fire under Danny Kingad01:51Osenio offers no excuse for loss to Chinese foe02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player awardlast_img read more


first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE MATCH REPORTSDowntown Cup Group AErne Wanderers 3 Glenea United Reserves 4 Erne Wanderers were in action on Friday night under lights once again this week when they entertained Glenea United at the Lakeside Centre. In perfect conditions the two teams played out an entertaining game with goals galore on show. The home team started the game well and looked to take the game to the away side but found Glenea were very well organised and extremely hard working so chances were hard to come by in the opening exchanges. The breakthrough came in the 20th minute when Spratt received the ball on the corner of the penalty box and when he sucked in the defender, skipped past him and he was taken down for a penalty which Barry Mulligan duly dispatched. The home team created a few half chances after this but couldn’t add to the score sheet. Glenea were always a threat especially from set pieces and they got an equaliser on 43 minutes. Within a minute of conceding Erne won a free on the right and Mulligan fired in a dangerous cross, McGee got his head to it but the keeper got a hand to it but it fell to Sticky Ward who smashed it into the roof of the net to send Wanderers in ahead at the break. The home team started the second half sluggish and paid the price when Glenea worked the ball down the left and crossed for the centre forward who hit it low under O’ Brien. This setback seemed to wake up the home team and they put some pressure on the away side and on the hour mark they went 3-2 up. Spratt won a free on the right and again Mulligan put in a great cross and this time veteran Dermott Slevin got his head to it for a fine finish. At this stage Erne were turning the screw and really should have put United out of sight with 3 or 4 great chances not taken and Mulligan hitting the bar with another fine free kick. These misses were to prove very costly as firstly on 82minutes they conceded from a sloppy mistake to make 3-3 and then on 90 minutes they conceded a sloppy free on the left and from the resulting kick they failed to clear their lines and a Glenea leg got a touch to roll the ball into bottom corner for the win. A disappointing result for the home team who were well below what they are capable of but a very impressive performance from the away side. Referee: Andrew MullinCranford United Reserves 2 Tullyvinney Rovers 2Cranford got off to a great start after 2 minutes when Cahir Wilhare played the ball through and Patrick Mc Grody put Cranford 1 up with great finish into the corner of the net. Cranford had a few chances to go 2 up through Conor Doherty and Keelan Mc Gee but could not beat the Tullyvinney keeper. Tullyvinney then came into the game and drew level after Marty Alexander scored from close range. Tullyvinney then took the lead when a deflected Renato shot went in past the Cranford keeper.Cranford started the second half well on top and had a number of good chances and Patrick Mc Grody went close when he controlled well and shot inside the box. Cranford then equalized after Johnny Wilhare put in a good corner and Peter Gildea finished with great header at back post. Cranford’s young side pushed for the winner and were unlucky when a Patrick Mc Grody volley was well saved by the Tullyvinney keeper. Good team efforts. Downtown Cup Group BKeadue Rovers Reserves 3 Kilmacrennan Celtic Reserves 0Keadue had a good winning start to the Downtown Cup after this victory over Kilmacrennan at Central Park. Played in great conditions for the time of year, it was an even opening five minutes with both sides finding their feet. In the tenth minute Keadue had the first chance with Conor Greene heading into the keeper’s hands from close range and on the half hour Donal Rodgers beat the Kilmacrennan keeper to the ball before lobbing it just over the bar. Keadue were dominant in possession and were rewarded just after the half hour when Conor Greene’s long range shot spun in front of the keeper and into the corner, a fine strike for the opening goal. On forty minutes Prionnsais Forker’s free kick hit the bar for Keadue and they went in at half time well deserved to be front and could’ve been further ahead. At the start of the second half Kilmacrennan had more possession but it was still the home side making the chances with Cathal Duggan going close on forty seven minutes and Darragh Hanlon’s effort just over on fifty minutes. On fifty five minutes Kilmacrennan had a great chance to equalise when the home keeper was dispossessed and Adrian Doherty somehow managed to miss the chance with the keeper recovering to save his effort. Keadue didn’t have to wait too long for the second goal when, on sixty one minutes Mark Sweeney played a fine ball through to Darragh Hanlon and his run on goal left Donal Rodgers free to head in from close range. In the closing stages Kilmacrennan had more possession with Keadue hitting on the break and Darragh Hanlon proving dangerous. In the final minute the home side made it 3-0, Patrick Sweeney scoring from a few yards. A good display from the home side for whom Prionnsais Forker and Darragh Hanlon were impressive while Ryan Mc Brearty did well for Kilmacrennan.Referee; John Sheamus O’FearraighFintown Harps AFC 3 Donegal Town Reserves 0 In cold condition at Pairc Acla Fintown took the lead early with great work from Daragh Gallagher, playing a through ball to find Aaron Thompson in the box. Thompson made no mistake putting the Harps in front 6 minutes into the game. Shortly after Delaney was taken down just outside the box, Daragh took the free and slotted it into the bottom right hand corner of the net. Fintown very unlucky not to further their lead with attempts by Aaron and Daragh coming off the post. Donegal found it very hard to get past a strong Fintown defence in the first half.The second half was much the same with very few scoring opportunities created by either team. In the 25th minute of the second half Shan Mc Millian got a through ball from Daragh and slotted it into the back of the net to make it 3-0 to the homeside. Team performances by both teams.Referee: Mickey Mulhern.Downtown Cup Group C Deele Harps 5 Glenree United Reserves 2Deele entertained a spirited Glenree side in the Saturday Cup at The Athletic Track. The home side started brightly and wasted a couple of chances before Gary Wilson-Mc Girr’s opener on 5 minutes. Aidy Gallagher wriggled free on the left to cross deep for Wilson-Mc Girr to sweep home at the back post. Glenree came close to equalising 2 minutes later when Damien Nelis headed wide. Deele’s Shane Gallagher then created a chance for himself but fired over when well placed. In the 23rd minute a short corner found Paul Lynch who crossed deep for Gavin Gallagher to head down into the path of his brother Shane Gallagher who tapped home on the line. Glenree pulled a goal back in the 41st minute when Damien Nelis lobbed Christy Roulstone in the Deele goal. On the stroke of half time Paul Lynch picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and on his weaker right foot unleashed a powerful drive to restore Deele’s 2 goal advantage. Deele were quickest out of the blocks in the 2nd half and Shane Gallagher pounced on a defensive mix up to race through on goal and cooly he slotted home the 4th Deele goal. In the 56th minute Glenree were awarded a penalty and Karl Mc Elhinney slotted home from the spot. The game was finally put to bed when Aidy Gallagher scored the goal of the day , a sweet volley from the edge of the box following another knock down from the impressive Gavin Gallagher. The was still time for Jamie Ayton to have a shot blocked and at the other end Damien Nelis fired wide at the death. Team Performances. Referee: Ed MooreDowntown United 2 Ramelton Mariners 0This game played at Rabs Park Kerrykeel was a very tight entertaining match with Downtown coming away with three points in group C of The Downtown Cup. Both teams started brightly creating half chances early on but it was Downtown who got in front on fifteen minutes when Nial Bonner shot home from inside the box after a good cross from Steven Toye. Downtown with much of the play went close again when Toye shot from the edge of the box, just skimmed the crossbar. As the half wore on Mariners came back into it and went close on a couple of occasions. On thirty five minutes Downtown added their second Bonner was upended on the edge of the box.Up stepped Michael Doherty who bent the free kick around the wall into the bottom corner of the net giving the keeper no chance. The second half continued as the first with both teams playing some entertaining football. Ramelton Mariners had most of the possession pressing hard looking for the way back into the game but Downtown stood firm with Charlie Creevy and Michael Doherty in control in the centre of midfield and Gio Peoples and Redmond Doherty marshalling the back line well. Best for Downtown ; Gio Peoples, Michael Doherty, Niall Bonner Beat for Ramelton : Team Performances:Downtown Cup Group DCastlefin Celtic Reserves 2 Glencar Celtic 4Glencar went away from Castlefin with a 4-2 victory in the Downtown Cup on Saturday. Glencar took the lead in the 10th minute from the penalty spot when Paddy Rafferty was fouled and he stepped up to slot home. In the 15th minute Glencar doubled their advantage when a cross from the right was turned into the net by a Castlefin defender. Rafferty made it three 5 minutes later when he skipped past a Castlefin defender and slotted home past the advancing keeper. In the 30th minute Rafferty completed his hat-rick when he latched onto a through ball and he calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner. The home side pulled a goal back in the 40th minute when Simon Mc Glinchey headed home an Emmett White corner kick. The second half was a much more even affair with both sides having half chances but Castlefin pulled another goal back in the 70th minute when Emmett white rounded the keeper and tapped home after a good through ball from Thomas Devlin. Team performance from Castlefin Paddy Rafferty best for Glencar. Referee: Brian O’ KaneMulroy Celtic 4 Gweedore Celtic Reserves 0NO REPORT: Reports can be sent to info@donegaldaily.comBrian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionKilmacrennan Celtic 4 Gweedore Celtic 0Kilmac continued their good start to the season with a well deserved victory over Gweedore Celtic. Kilmac started brightly and had early chances through Eddie Doherty and Ryan Shields. The breakthrough came with twenty five minutes. Martin Sweeney fed Timmy Burke who squared the ball to an unmarked Caolan Kelly. Kelly shot first time and blasted home from just on the edge of the 6 yard box. Kelly soon found himself on the score-sheet again when ten minutes later, after Michael McLaughlin was hauled down twenty yards from goal, Kelly slotted the resulting free kick into the corner of the net.The Second half was more of the same and Michael McLaughlin slotted home from close range after latching onto a Gary Gorman free kick. Substitute Liam McBride also found himself on the score sheet with ten minutes remaining when he linked up well with Ryan Shields. Team efforts from both sides. Referee: Vincent McLaughlinLifford Celtic 4 Milford United 2Played in heavy conditions at Greenbrae Park Lifford settled quickest and Damien Patton continued his good run of form when he scored after a through ball from Mark Neeson. Lifford doubled their advantage when Kevin Mc Brearty placed a free kick in the top corner. Milford responded immediately when their centre half got on the end of a free kick. Milford started the second half the brightest creating plenty of chances and should have drawn level. Milford eventually got their reward when PJ Hagan scored following a goal-mouth scramble with ten minutes remaining. That goal seemed to spark Lifford back to life as Mark Carlin went clear to cross for Damien Patton who had the easiest of headed finishes. Lifford grabbed their fourth, as Milford pressed, when Damien Patton and Kevin Mc Brearty combined down the left for Mc Brearty to finish from the edge of the box and seal the win. Best for Lifford was Seamie Gallagher. Best for Milford was PJ Hagan.Lagan Harps 0 Rathmullan Celtic 7Rathmullan kept up their title challenge with an impressive demolition of Lagan Harps. Cheered on by a large travelling support Rathmullan were on top from the start with Seamie Mc Laughlin and Eoin Sheridan completely on top in midfield and Eamonn Sheridan and Oisin Mc Menamin stretching the Lagan defence. They opened the scoring on seven minutes. Ciaran Molloy pulled off a great save from Eamonn Sheridan but Sheridan back heeled the rebound into Darragh Patton’s path and he drilled it home. Molloy with some help from centre back Ronan Lennon somehow kept Lagan in the game until the forty second minute. Eamonn Sheridan was again the provider, seizing on a rebound before teeing up Eoin Sheridan to score. Lagan had their first real shot at the start of the second half when Ian Strain pushed Kevin Kelly’s strike away for a corner. Whatever chance Lagan had of getting back in to the game ended on fifty two minutes when Eamonn Sheridan controlled a long freekick from Paddy Sheridan on his chest before swivelling and firing home. Eamonn Sheridan was again the provider for the fourth goal crossing for Darragh Patton to add the finishing touch. Former Lagan player Oisin Mc Menamin earned his reward for some unselfish running when he drilled home from wide on the right. Shea Coyle made it 6-0 when he fired home the rebound after Darragh Patton hit the crossbar. Darragh Patton completed the rout, and completed his hat-trick when he back heeled to the net after Oisin Mc Menamin did the spade work. On this showing Rathmullan are serious title contenders while Lagan have some hard work ahead to maintain their status. In an all round team performance Eamonn Sheridan, Eoin Sheridan and Darragh Patton stood out for Rathmullan. For Lagan Ciaran Molloy, Ronan Lennon and Aidan O’Donnell gave it their all.St. Catherines 1 Dunkineely Celtic 1St Catherines played hosts to Dunkineely Celtic in Emerald Park on Sunday. Both teams started the game well and it was the Saints who took the lead on 8 minutes when they were awarded a corner. Ryan Farrelly took it but the corner was cleared by Dunkineely but Ryan Farrelly got the ball again and he drove the ball into the box and there was Daniel Breslin who scored at the front post to put the Saints 1up. The Saints started to create a couple of good chances but they just could not get another goal, then on 17 minutes Dunkineely were awarded a penalty when Andrew Mackie was fouled in the box by David Conwell. Up stepped Andrew Mackie but his penalty was brilliantly saved by the Saints keeper Shane O’ Gara. In the 28th minute Dunkineely got a corner and it was swung into the Saints box and there was Shane Mc Whinney to score from 8 yards out to make the score 1 each. On 34 minutes the ball was played through the Saints defence and Andrew Mackie ran onto the through ball but he could not get past the Saints keeper who made a brilliant save to deny him. The second half started with both teams looking for the 2nd goal and Michael Mullin went close on 51 minutes when he had a shot that just went over the bar from 6 yards out. Dunkineely had a couple of shots but Shane O’ Gara in the Saints goal was in great form and made great saves to keep Dunkineely out. On 65 minutes Christopher Murrin went on a run and he had a shot that just went over the bar. Both teams tried to get the second goal but it just would not come and the game finished 1-1. St.Catherine’s wish Andrew Mackie a speedy recovery from his injury.Watson Hire Division OneArranmore United 0 Cranford United 1Curragh Athletic 1 Keadue Rovers 1Keadue Rovers left Killygordon with a share of the spoils thanks to a Hugh Boyle header on seventy one minutes. The home side took the lead on twenty one minutes when Ryan Carlin headed in from a Benny Bonner corner. It was almost two nil six minutes later when a Paddy Collins shot rebounded off a post back into the hands of the keeper, before Keadue Rovers had a glancing header come off the outside of the post. Curragh did think they had a second goal, but Gareth Gallagher’s header was ruled out. The game had very few real chances, but credit to both teams who went all out for a winner in the last quarter. This was a good team effort from both sides. Referee: Victor Rooney.Donegal Town 2 Raphoe Town 1Despite contrasting league positions which seen the hosts start second from top and the visitors second from bottom, it was Raphoe who took the lead in the second minute. A good move down the right hand side was finished off by Rhys Laird at the back post with a fine one touch finish. Donegal dominated possession from then on in the game without carving out any clear cut chances. It was Raphoe who went closer to a second goal when David Craig had his effort tipped onto the bar by Donegal ‘keeper Dermot Mc Cafferty. It remained that way at the break and Donegal continued to dominate possession in the second half and got a somewhat fortunate but deserved equaliser five minutes in. Raphoe failed to defend a Conor Mc Monagle corner properly and a misplaced header from a defender ended up in his own net. Just as it looked like the game was heading for a draw, second half substitute David Harron spun his defender to create a chance for Declan Brown to slip home the all important winner with less than ten minutes remaining. Good team performances from both teams. Referee: Marty Mc GarrigleBallybofey United 2 Cappry Rovers 2Darragh Redmond gave Ballybofey an early lead in this local derby match, played at the Finn Valley Centre in Stranorlar. Kevin Mc Glynn levelled affairs when he converted from the penalty spot. Another penalty saw the home side go back in front, this time it was ex-Finn Harps man Chris Breen who converted. Later in the match Breen had to leave the field through injury and as his replacement was awaiting entry to the game Cappry got their equaliser through Aran Kelly. A low key affair refereed by Mick Lagan.Drumoghill FC 3 Eany Celtic 2Drumoghill FC held their nerve to secure 3 vital points against promotion chasing Eany Celtic at the Moss, and in doing so boosted their chances of securing their Division 1 status. But they needed nerves of steel to do so, withstanding a second half fight-back from Eany after the home side went into the interval with a 3-0 lead. But a brace from Barry Rose ensured an anxious conclusion for the home side. Not for the first time, the hero for Drumoghill was striker Liam O’Donnell. The division’s top scorer started on fire and put his side ahead on 5 minutes, pouncing on a rebound from Richard Tinney’s 20 yard drive which keeper Colm Kelly had failed to hold. Six minutes later O’ Donnell had turned creator with a mazy run into the penalty area before squaring the ball for Richard Moore to tap home. Drumoghill were absolutely clinical during the opening period and looked dangerous on the break as Eany dominated possession. And it was from one such break on 32 minutes that Drumoghill grabbed their 3rd goal, his time Tinney sent O’Donnell free on the right wing and the young striker raced towards goal before slotting past Kelly at his near post to send Drumoghill into the break 3 goals in the ascendency.It was perhaps an unfair reflection on the first period as Eany dominated for large spells. They should have been ahead as early as the 2nd minute when Liam Mc Groarty sent namesake Paul through on goal, but the striker saw his effort well smothered by Greg Regan. Martin Shovlin, the game’s outstanding performer, then created a chance for John Rose but he too found Regan in top form.The second half started in a similar fashion as Eany maintained their dominance from the first half. They quickly reduced the arrears when Barry Rose glided past John Madigan and Christopher O’Donnell to finish and the same player repeated the trick when he latched on to a long goal kick from Kelly to set up a nervous conclusion.CT Ball Division TwoDrumbar United 2 Copany Rovers 2This was always going to be a tense affair in Drumbar with no team willing to give up local bragging rights. There was a minutes silence before the game for the Copany captain Aaron Scott who died just before the Christmas break, he play some underage for Drumbar also. Copany got off to the perfect start when David Graham(10mins) tapped in from six yards after a defensive mix up. Drumbar got one back through David Giblin(30mins) after a free kick fell kindly for him. Just on the stroke of half time Ciaran Nixon(45mins) passed it home after a goal mouth scramble.The second half was a bit more open and half chances going to both sides, when Shane Walsh(70mins) put in a great ball which the home defence failed to deal with.Best for Copany Thomas Given, While Cialion Loughney and Daniel Bennett had great games.Kerrykeel ’71 FC 3 Glenree United 0Glenree made the short journey to Rab’s park to face neighbours Kerrykeel but went away disappointed as Kerrykeel made it four wins in a row for Hughie Walsh’s men. On ten minutes Glenree had a chance to take the lead, however Michael Gallagher failed to make contact at the back post. They were made to pay as Kerrykeel went up the pitch and from a superb Tony Mc Bride cross, Johnny Nanny buried a brilliant header past John Rodgers in the Glenree goal. Kerrykeel doubled their lead on eighteen minutes as good work from Trevor Alcorn led to great link-up play from Nanny and Seimie Coshia which resulted in Coshia blasting the ball into the net. Just before half-time Mark Mc Conigley made a great stop in the Kerrykeel goals from an Andy Coyle shot from distance.In an evenly contested second half both teams could have registered with Cathal Martin going close for the home team and Daniel Mc Groddy almost converting for the visitors. Kerrykeel wrapped up the points in the ninetieth minute when from a Shaun Callaghan shot that was parried Mark “Sparky” Friel pounced on the rebound to fire in off the post. Hughie Walsh and James Martin will be hoping their troops can push on for the rest of the season now. Kerrykeel would like to wish Glenree’s John Doherty a speedy recovery as he suffered a nasty injury during the game. Best for Kerrykeel ‘71: Cathal Martin, Patrick Mc Conigley and Brendan Callaghan. Best for Glenree United: Robert Moore and Nicholas Mc Nelis. Referee: James MalseedConvoy Arsenal 1 Whitestrand United 2It was a very even start to the game with both teams creating chances. Convoy worked hard to compete with Whitestrand resulting in a goal in the 40th minute. The Convoy goal came from a Shane Mc Laughlin cross with Johnny Kee heading home. Convoy’s lead was cancelled out within 15 minutes of the second half. Michael Sweeney showed great determination resulting in a solo goal from an acute angle. Both teams continued to press hard looking for the winner. Whitestrand produced an inspired piece of play which resulted in Paul Lynch chipping the ball over the Convoy keeper in the last minute of play. Both teams worked extremely hard and played well. Convoy were unlucky not to get a pointBonagee United 4 Letterbarrow Celtic 2Bonagee came close on six minutes when Ross Hanlyn broke down the right and his shot was well saved by the keeper. Alan Lyons for the visitors shot just wide of the post on ten minutes from a Paul Moran cross. Mark Hunter had a good effort from the edge of the box saved on twelve minutes. Letterbarrow took the lead on fifteen minutes when a free kick by John Roper from the left was headed home from ten yards by Alan Lyons. Paddy Mc Laughlin for Bonagee had a great chance to level the match on thirty minutes when a cross from the right from Darren Hunter he blasted over from ten yards. Letterbarrow had a few strikes on goal from Alan Lyons and Declan Gallagher but Carr did well in the home goal. Bonagee got the equalizer on forty minutes when Glen Rainey shot home from a Darren Coyle corner. Bonagee were awarded a penalty on forty four minutes when Mark Hunter was brought down in the box by the keeper who made a great save from Darren Coyle’s spot kick. Bonagee started the second half on top and went ahead on fifty minutes when after good play by Aiden Mc Laughlin in the middle of the park he played a great through ball to Ross Hanlyn and he slid the ball past the keeper from twelve yards out. Declan Gallagher for the visitors had a great strike on goal well saved by the keeper from fifteen yards. Bonagee got their third on sixty five minutes when Darren Coyle broke down the right and his cross into the box found Ross Hanlyn who shot home from ten yards. Bonagee got their fourth on eighty two minutes when Aiden Mc Laughlin played a good ball through to Darren Hunter who crossed to Shane Kelly on the edge of the box and his shot found the top corner of the net. Letterbarrow pulled one back three minutes later when a free from the left was crossed in by Stephen Graham and found Garry Byrne at the near post and he hammered home from five yards. Best for the visitors were Alan Lyons, Stephen Graham and Paul Moran. Bonagee Team effort. Referee: Paul DohertyDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAY 12-1-2013Downtown Cup Group AErne Wanderers                                3 v 4                   Glenea United ReservesCranford United Reserves               2 v 2                   Tullyvinney RoversDowntown Cup Group BKeadue Rovers Reserves                 3 v 0                   Kilmacrennan Celtic ReservesFintown Harps AFC                       3 v 0                   Donegal Town ReservesDowntown Cup Group CDeele Harps                                     5 v 2                   Glenree United ReservesDowntown United                           2 v 0                   Ramelton MarinersDowntown Cup Group DCastlefin Celtic Reserves                2 v 4                   Glencar CelticMulroy Celtic                                  4 v 0                   Gweedore Celtic ReservesSUNDAY  13-1-2013Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionKilmacrennan Celtic                         4 v 0                   Gweedore CelticLifford Celtic                                   4 v 2                   Milford UnitedLagan Harps                                     0 v 7                   Rathmullan CelticSt. Catherines                                   1 v 1                   Dunkineely CelticWatson Hire Division OneArranmore United                            0 v 1                   Cranford UnitedCurragh Athletic                              1 v 1                   Keadue RoversDonegal Town                                             2 v 1                   Raphoe TownBallybofey United                           2 v 2                   Cappry RoversDrumoghill FC                                 3 v 2                   Eany CelticCT Ball Division TwoDrumbar United                               2 v 2                   Copany RoversKerrykeel ’71 FC                             3 v 0                   Glenree UnitedConvoy Arsenal                               1 v 2                   Whitestrand UnitedBonagee United                                4 v 2                   Letterbarrow CelticDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 19-1-2013                    K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Downtown Cup Group ATullyvinney Rovers                            v                      Milford United ReservesGlenea United Reserves                      v                      Cranford United ReservesDowntown Cup Group BDonegal Town Reserves                     v                      Keadue Rovers ReservesKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves            v                      Fintown Harps AFCDowntown Cup Group CRamelton Mariners                             v                      Gweedore United ReservesGlenree United Reserves                    v                      Downtown UnitedDowntown Cup Group DGweedore Celtic Reserves                  v                      Castlefin Celtic ReservesGlencar Celtic                                     v                      Mulroy CelticSUNDAY  20-1-2013             K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionRathmullan Celtic                               v                      Lifford CelticGlenea United                                     v                      Kilmacrennan CelticMilford United                                   v                      St. CatherinesLagan Harps                                        v                      Dunkineely CelticCastlefin Celtic                                   v                      Gweedore CelticWatson Hire Division OneArranmore United                               v                      Ballybofey United   (K.O. 1 p.m.)Keadue Rovers                                    v                      Eany CelticCurragh Athletic                                 v                      Cappry RoversCT Ball Division TwoGweedore United                                v                      Kerrykeel’71 F.C.Letterbarrow Celtic                             v                      Drumbar UnitedGlenree United                                    v                      Whitestrand UnitedCopany Rovers                                   v                      Bonagee UnitedDunlewy Celtic                                   v                      Convoy ArsenalTOTAL FOOTBALL: DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE SCORES, MATCH REPORTS & FIXTURES was last modified: January 13th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:MATCH REPORTS & FIXTURESTOTAL FOOTBALL: DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE SCORESlast_img read more