DONEGAL CLASS SIZES HIGHER THAN EU AVERAGE

first_imgThe Department of Education released figures showing Donegal primary school classes had an average of 23 students. The EU average is 20.The average class size in the country was 24.7. The Pupil-Teacher ratio in primary schools nationwide rose from 16.2 to 16.4 in the school year 2012/2013. The EU average is 14.The average class size in the country was 24.7. The EU average is 20.There was a total of 18985 pupils in primary schools in Donegal, 146 of those were in special schools.Primary school teacher numbers increased across the country in the last school year by 250 to 32,175. Secondary teaching staff numbers dropped by over 400. There were 12553 pupils attending Donegal secondary schools last year.  DONEGAL CLASS SIZES HIGHER THAN EU AVERAGE was last modified: September 4th, 2013 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:educationschoolslast_img read more

Man fined over incident after drinking ‘north of 20 shots of vodka’

first_imgA MILFORD man who consumed ’somewhere north of 20 shots of vodka’ has been fined for a public order incident.Lee McLaughlin (24) of 4 Moyle Road, Milford, was before Letterkenny District Court over an incident at Port Road, Letterkenny on September 15 last. Sergeant Jim Collins told the Court that Gardaí observed McLaughlin stepping into a fight between two females and pushing one of them.McLaughlin became abusive shouting ‘f*** off’ to members of the public and was arrested by Gardaí.Solicitor for McLaughlin, Mr Rory O’Brien, said his client had no recollection of the night in question due to his ‘high level of inebriation’.“He had a complete and utter black out,” Mr O’Brien said. “He drank a ridiculous amount, somewhere north of 20 shots of vodka. It was remarkable that he was standing.”Mr O’Brien said that McLaughlin, accompanied in Court by family members, wanted to apologise for his behaviour.Judge Paul Kelly warned McLaughlin that he was in a downward spiral and needed to ‘get a grip’.McLaughlin was fined €150 and given four months to pay.Man fined over incident after drinking ‘north of 20 shots of vodka’ was last modified: November 10th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Judge Paul KellyLee McLaughlinLetterkenny District CourtMilfordlast_img read more

New York Mets to sign former San Francisco Giants second baseman Joe Panik

first_imgJoe Panik is heading home.The former San Francisco Giants second baseman has signed a contract with the Mets that will allow him to return to his home state of New York. Several other outlets reported Friday morning that the two sides had agreed to a deal, and the Mets announced the move hours later.The Yonkers native was designated for assignment by the Giants on Tuesday, bringing an abrupt end to a tenure that included an All-Star appearance, a Gold Glove honor and a World Series title.Pani …last_img read more

TFA Reaffirms Commitment to Inclusion and Deaf Sports Australia (DSA)

first_imgDate:  22 and 23 AugustLocation: DarwinVenue: Darwin High SchoolTime:  22/8 – 10am – 12.00pm23/8 – 8:00am – 9:30am. ACTNT Hearing impairments currently affect one in five Australians with that number expected to increase in coming years.The commitment by TFA to those who may describe themselves as deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired or a cochlear implantee, is another example of how the sport aims to improve the inclusiveness and experience for participants in the sport. As well as creating an environment where persons with a hearing impairment feel comfortable participating and be a part of the Touch Football community.Against this backdrop, Touch Football Australia (TFA) also announced this week the re-signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Deaf Sports Australia (DSA).The purpose of the MOU is to increase the number of participants who are deaf or hard of hearing in Touch Football, through: community based initiatives; the creation of specific material for hearing impaired persons; as well as the identification of development pathways in Touch Football.For further information, please visit www.touchfootball.com.au or www.deafsports.org.au.Head down to the above venues and witness first-hand something you don’t see every-day: a completely silent Touch Football match with all participants wearing ear muffs and no verbal communication allowed. Date: 24 August, 2017Location: CanberraVenue: Reconciliation Park, Parkes ACTTime: 12.00am – 2.00pm TFA is again proud to support Hearing Awareness Week with a focus on the fragility of hearing health and ways to protect it. Hearing Awareness Week (20-26 August) aims to eliminate the stigma, isolation, lack of work opportunities, and the associated health issues to improve the overall quality of life for people with deafness or hearing impairment.The first community initiative for TFA and Deaf Sports Australia in 2017 is the annual Silent Sports Challenge. The event this year will be held across two key locations, Canberra and Darwin; both centres will host Touch Football events to raise awareness of inclusion and encourage a place on the touch football field for everyone, as follows.last_img read more

10 months agoGuardiola excuses Sterling as Man City beat Leicester in Cup shootout

first_imgGuardiola excuses Sterling as Man City beat Leicester in Cup shootoutby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City have reached the Carabao Cup semifinals after beating Leicester City on penalties.A poor quality shootout saw the home side miss three penalties while a dinked effort went wrong for Raheem Sterling before Oleksandr Zinchenko stepped up to emphatically thump the decisive kick into the top corner to take his side through.Pep Guardiola’s side took the lead in the first half through Kevin de Bruyne’s first goal of the season – a sweet, low drive into the bottom corner.Leicester were poor in the first half but regrouped at half-time and levelled the contest through Marc Albrighton’s well-struck effort before crumbling in the shootout.Guardiola said afterwards: “A tough game, it is always difficult at Leicester. We played with a guy who is 17 years old and some injured players, it was a good game.”Raheem took that decision [to chip his penalty], unfortunately he missed it but that is OK.”Asked about Jose Mourinho’s sacking, he added: “I am always sad for the manager when that happens. We are alone in that situation. I am close to all of the managers. You are sacked when results are not good.”He doesn’t need me, he is so strong. I wish him all the best and he will be back soon.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more