Now perimeter-oriented, Taulava unleashes ‘Asi Splash’ in Macau

first_imgAnd Taulava’s shooting is in full display here in Macau, of all places, in the Asia League Super 8.In NLEX’s semifinal game against CBA’s Guangzho, Taulava went 2-of-6 from three-point area including one that beat the shot clock in the third quarter.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’Taulava finished with six points, all his shots came from downtown, in a 75-63 loss. He said that his shooting exploits are just getting started.“Splash!” exclaimed Taulava Saturday at Macau East Asian Games Dome when he was asked about his newfound skill. “That’s a new nickname we have right now, everybody calls it the Asi Splash.” MOST READ Photo from Asia League FacebookMACAU—Asi Taulava has been called “Ageless” the moment he hit 40, but the man also known as “The Rock” in his heyday could potentially add “Limitless” to his growing number of nicknames.Once the best big man in the PBA due to his sheer size and strength, the now 45-year-old Taulava has evolved his game and added a 3-pointer to his age-defying career.ADVERTISEMENT Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names Petron books title shot DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced View comments Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Taulava has, so far, has gone 5-of-15 in the pocket tournament where they played against professional teams from China, Korea, and Japan.The 2003 PBA MVP said NLEX head coach Yeng Guiao has been a major reason why he’s started to shift his game to the perimeter, an area he rarely stayed in during his prime.“Coach Yeng’s been giving me a lot of confidence in shooting, it’s been great, the release has been awesome and I just got to continue working every day and not getting satisfied with one or two,” said Taulava. “I got to be consistent in hitting high-percentage threes when they kick it out.”Another reason for Taulava’s shooting development is the new breed of big men who are “bigger and stronger” than him.Listed at 6-foot-9 and 245 pounds, Taulava is a big man himself but the likes of the 7-foot, 260-pound Greg Slaughter and reigning four-time MVP June Mar Fajardo, who stands at 6-foot-10 and weighs 250 pounds, have ushered in a new age of PBA giants.ADVERTISEMENT Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Taulava said he also has to think about the punishment his body takes every game in the PBA and shooting threes is one way of limiting the tear he receives.“It’s playing smart. The younger guys are bigger and stronger than me down in the post so why take all that in and be in a disadvantage where I can take them to the perimeter and shoot a jump shot,” said Taulava.“It’s less punishment for my body and I’m enjoying it, and I learn as you get older you learn something different and I’m learning something from coach Yeng.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Barrier to Fanad Arch deemed ‘illegal’ by An Bord Pleanála

first_imgFanad residents campaigning to restore access to the Great Pollaid Arch have had a major victory this week after their appeal to An Bord Pleanála was upheld.Controversy has surrounded the land leading to the arch for two years after the entrance was blocked and signs erected to stop visitors passing through.Local residents seeking the reinstatement of the original ‘right of public use’ of the land lodged an appeal with An Bord Pleanála on October 17th, 2017. The Tirconaill Tribune reports that the planning board’s decision has been heralded by the local preservation group as a major victory and they’ve called on Donegal County Council to request the owners to remove all ‘obstacles’ or ‘works undertaken to immobilise public use’ to be removed immediately.Kerri Coll has headed up the two-year battle by the Great Arch Action Committee against Donegal County Council’s decision that works carried out in June 2017 did not require planning permission.She told the Tribune that their appeal has been fully vindicated by An Bord Pleanála ’s decision. She said: “Our committee has always felt that the attitude of the Council was ridiculous and entirely heedless of the effect of this closure on the local community. The people of Fanad have suffered the loss of a much-cherished amenity, and local tourism had been hit by the exclusion of visitors from the enjoyment of the walk out to the stunning rock arch, a natural marvel much frequented since before Victorian times. “When the heavy obstruction appeared in June 2017, the Council refused to do anything, even saying in its Section 5 Declaration that it is not development that requires planning permission. “Everyone knew this was ridiculous and now the Bord has proved us to be right. We call on Donegal County Council to meet its legal obligation and immediately commence the procedures enforcing the removal of the huge concrete blocks and barbed wire that close off the old entrance to the pathway.” The Great Arch Action Committee also intends to make this a front-line issue for newly elected local representatives to take up with the Council as soon as they take up office. Ms. Coll makes it clear: “We expect their full co-operation in ensuring that this long-established path is reopened in time for the coming tourist season as well as for ourselves and our families to enjoy once more.“The Pollett Great Arch is as old as the ocean itself and along with the Seven Arches further south on Lough Swilly is one of the precious tourism gems on the Donegal landscape.”   Barrier to Fanad Arch deemed ‘illegal’ by An Bord Pleanála was last modified: May 25th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:fanad archlast_img read more

Cape Town’s Open Streets bring the people out to play

first_imgCapetonians make the streets of Observatory their own for a day. (Image: Rory Williams) 20 February 2014Get out your car and on your bike, skateboard or feet. Cape Town’s new Open Streets movement takes an old idea from Bogotá, Colombia, and turns city thoroughfares over to residents, who use the space for breaking down social barriers – and having a lot of fun.Read more on Media Club South Africa: Cape Town’s Open Streets bring the people out to playlast_img

Woman paddlers settle for silver as men lose in semis

first_imgIndian women went down to the Singaporeans 0-3 in the team table tennis final on Friday, thereby having to settle for a silver medal at the Yamuna Sports Complex.However, the bigger disappointment was the men losing to England 1-3 in the team semi-final.The 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medallists will now face Nigeria in the bronze medal match on Saturday.The Singapore team had players of Chinese origin and two of their players are in the top-10. The highestranked Indian player was Mouma Das at 214. Mouma gave a tough fight to World No. 3 Feng Tiawei before losing 5-11, 3-11, 11-9, 7-11.World No. 5 Wang Yuegu easily defeated K. Shamini 11-7, 11-7, 11-5.Poulomi Ghatak took the first game 12- 10 against World No. 23 Li Jiawei. But the Singaporean came back strongly to take the next three games 11-7, 11-9, 11-5 to seal the gold medal for her side.Malaysia beat England 3-2 to seal the bronze.The defeat of the men’s team was unexpected. When Achanta Sharath won his first match against Liam Pitchford 11- 8, 11- 4, 11- 8, it seemed that another easy win was on the cards.In the second match Anthony Arputharaj came back from a deficit twice against Paul Drinkhall and had reached match point at 10- 6 in the fifth game. But then nerves and a controversial umpiring decision went against him. The break was all that Drinkhall needed as he sealed the contest 11- 8, 4- 11, 11- 5, 7-11, 12-10.With the match poised at 1-1, Subhajit Saha went down in straight games 4-11, 10-12, 8-11 to Andrew Baggaley. It put a lot of pressure on Sharath’s shoulders in the fourth match and for once he could not deliver.advertisementDrinkhall, who had beaten the world number 40 previously, repeated his feat and closed the deal with a 11-9, 11-5, 10- 12, 11-4 victory.last_img read more

Shah Rukh Khan’s Rasta look spins magic

first_imgShah Rukh KhanShah Rukh Khan stepped out of a swanky Lamborghini and onto a collegiate campus in the city to host a quiz show, looking natty in a formal suit teamed with a scraggy hairdo and rider shades.If the sartorial statement seems like a strange cocktail, only SRK could have pulled it off. For the record, this is the look he will be sporting in his upcoming flick Don 2 and this is the first time that he has unveiled the peculiar fashion statement at a public event in India.The crowd of more than 1,000, who were waiting to welcome the superstar went wild, naturally. In the mini riot that broke out, the fact that King Khan had actually arrived a full three hours after his scheduled time of 1 pm was forgotten. The quiz was scheduled to start at 3pm, but thanks to the superstar’s delayed arrival could only begin around 6pm.SRK of course was quick to make light of the situation with his trademark wit. He promptly mouthed a line from Don 2 : “It’s no longer about the police in just 11 nations, Don is now wanted by the police in 132 nations.” In between waving to the crowd and giving quick photo-ops to the press, SRK found time to leave a few soundbytes for the gathering.”I was Delhi student too, so I can relate to all of you. I must say it’s nice that you guys are studying in such a posh campus,” he said, as the ecstatic crowd drowned his voice. While organisational mismanagement saw half the media leave even before the actual quiz started, SRK made all hassles well worth facing once he took centrestage.When some of the quiz participants seemed nervous, SRK quipped: “I would often wonder how to prepare for something important in life. Till Mr Amitabh Bachchan gave me the right tip. I recall being at a show with him in New York, and I was quite nervous. I asked him how he got over anxiety pangs. He told me, ‘I just ensure my zipper is pulled up’. So, absorb all knowledge that comes your way and zip it up. Seize the day, live the moment.” As the quiz kicked off, SRK was in fine form. He ripped the college jackets off contestants who gave wrong answers, made a couple of teams that argued over a right answer do push- ups, in the process joining them in an impromptu push- up session himself.As the evening rolled, the quiz became a keen contest that unfolded amidst fun fare-SRK style. Contestants and the audience alike would have wished the quiz lasted for a little longer.advertisementlast_img read more

Saina crashes out in pre-quarterfinals of Singapore Open

first_imgSaina Nehwal’s hopes of defending the Singapore Open title went up in smoke after the Indian lost to Chinese Taipei’s Shao Chieh Cheng in a thrilling three-game pre-quarterfinal here on Thursday. The fourth seeded Indian blew a first game advantage to suffer a 21-8 10-21 19-21 defeat against world number 10 Shao in a 52-minute second round match at Singapore city on Thursday. The 21-year-old from Hyderabad had won the Singapore Super Series in June last year but Saina failed to repeat her performance on Thursday at the Singapore Indoor complex. The World No 4 Indian, who was knocked out of the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold last week in the quarterfinals, relied on her power-puffed smashes but the Chinese Taipei girl caught her at the nets to reach the quarters. Saina was at her dominating best in the first game as she indulged in smashes and also played better at the nets to march ahead in gaint strides and didn’t give any chance to Shao to narrow the gap and lead 1-0. But Shao gave Saina a dose of her own medicine as she matched the Indian’s smashes but caught her at the nets to roar back into contention. The decider turned out to a see-saw battle as the two fought tooth and nail but Saina blew a narrow two-point lead at 14-12 as Shao registered six straight points first and kept the Indian away to sneak into the quarterfinals. Saina will now try to defend her title in the Djarum Indonesia Open which she had won last year.advertisement- With PTI inputsFor more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.last_img read more