UL Students Angered over Delay of Faculty Salaries

first_imgPolice form a human barricade in front of the protesting UL Students on Capitol Bypass, Monrovia… Snub former President SirleafHundreds of students of the University of Liberia (UL) on Wednesday, July 24, 2019 took to the street, mainly on Capitol Hill, protesting the delay on the part of the university’s administration to pay its faculty members, a situation that resulted in instructors having reportedly reportedly abandoned classes and refused to administer their final exams.Over the last few days, UL faculty members have refused to administer the final examinations for the semester, pending the payment of their two-month salaries and the reimbursement of the monies deducted previously from their salaries and allowances.The Capitol Hill campus of the university remained vacant yesterday while the students were protesting.The student protest comes in the awake of report that the university has begun disbursement of salaries owed the faculty members, a report which was confirmed by Commerce Minister Wilson Tarpeh. Mr. Tarpeh formerly taught at the university and served as vice president for finance.The students’ action yesterday held up the flow of traffic going into and out of central Monrovia, thereby delaying some civil servants from getting to their respective offices in time.Students were moving and singing revolutionary songs around the parameter of the Monrovia City Hall, where it was gathered they had gone there to meet with the City Mayor.“I am appealing to you to leave the streets and return on campus as we work to settle the faculty’s pay. I cannot promise when they would get the money, but we are working on it. As a veteran of this party, the Student Unification Party (SUP), I am appealing to you to take kindly on campus,” Min. Tarpeh told SUP Chairman Carlos Edison, one of the protest organizers.Shortly after the students returned to campus, UL Vice President for Public Relations, Norris Tweah, informed them that the university administration has been embroiled with financial crisis recently.He did not say when the salaries and allowances of the teaching staffs would be addressed.Mr. Tweah added: “We want to assure you that we have paid the salaries for the month of June. However, for the month of July, the salaries will be settled today (July 24), and that we are doing everything to make this happen. We are very sorry for this inconvenienced situation and, if there are other issues, we will handle them later. Currently, this situation has been handled, although there are other issues raised by the faculty which have not been resolved, but will be resolved it very soon.”Meanwhile, Mr. Tweah has appealed to the faculty to abandon their strike action and return to classes, while the administration works to resolve other issues raised in their letter of complaint.“There will be great consequence if this strike action by the faculty members continues. It is for this reason, we want them to return to classes and administer their exams while we resolve some of the concerns,” Mr. Tweah added.Madam Sirleaf pleads the students’ concern while they, in turn, blame her for “ushering the country’s present administration.”Among those held up in the traffic blockade on the Capitol Bypass, staged by the protesting UL students, was former President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf who disembarked from her vehicle to plead with the students to leave the streets. The students refused to listen to her.Some of the students had blamed Madam Sirleaf for “putting the country in its present woes.” Though they did not name the specific part she played, some of the students were overheard blaming her for backing the country’s present leadership during the 2017 elections.In a Facebook post, Martin Kollie, an executive member of SUP, said the students are protesting for the full payment of salaries and allowances of the faculty, including adjunct professors and part-time lectures for June and July 2019.“… And the full restitution of all monies deducted from faculty members, and exemption from any and every form of Pro-poor cut, and the lifting of ban on student political activities, as well as the revision of the ‘New Student Handbook,” Kollie said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Three killed in WCD accident

first_imgBy Lakhram BhagiratA teenage couple and a taxi driver lost their lives when the vehicle in which they were travelling became uncontrollable and collided with a car parked on the public road at New Road, Vreed-en-Hoop, West Coast Demerara on Sunday evening.The taxi driver has been identified as 22-year-old Deodat Mohan of 44 New Road Vreed-en-Hoop WCD, and the passengers as 18-year-old Reaz Barakat of Lot 12 Ruimzeight Gardens, WCD and 17-year-old Tillesha Terika Singh of Diamond New Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara.According to the Police, investigations have so far revealed that Mohan, with Barakat and Singh as his passengers, was driving motor car PPP 4014 at a fast rate when, at about 16:00hrs, he lost control of the vehicle and it slammed into motor car PHH 7894 that was parked at the side of the road, before further slammed into a utility pole, breaking the pole at its base.Mohan and Singh were pronounced dead on arrival at the West Demerara Regional Hospital, while Barakat was immediately rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he succumbed while receiving medical treatment.The car that Mohan first collided withAccording to reports from eyewitnesses, Mohan’s car was attempting to overtake a minibus when he lost control of the vehicle and it immediately flipped.Mohan’s mother, Vanie (only name given), was inconsolable after hearing the news of her youngest child’s demise. Relatives told this publication that the young man had been a taxi driver at the Top Notch Taxi Service, a family business.They said he had been a relatively safe driver, and they were unsure of the circumstances that had caused the accident.This publication was informed that both parents of Tillesha Singh have passed away, and she and her other siblings reside with an aunt at Diamond, East Bank Demerara. The relatives were reluctant to speak to the media, but the aunt informed that Singh had left home after midday, claiming she had to attend lessons. The aunt said she is unclear how her niece had reached on the West Coast of Demerara.The fallen utility poleBased on her social media account, Singh and Barakat, both students of the Diamond Secondary School, had been in a relationship. TheirThe bodies of Singh and Mohan were taken to the Ezekiel Funeral Parlour, while Barakat’s body was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital morgue. Police investigations are ongoing, and a post mortem is expected to be performed today.Just last Sunday, Sabita Manglani and her two sons, Ethan Ramjeet and Emanuel Manglani, along with her secretary Reshma Seeram and friend Dhanpaul Kishandial, lost their lives following an accident on the No. 59 Village public road on the Corentyne.The car driven by MohanAccording to the details, Kishandial was driving at a fast rate when the vehicle encountered a pothole and became uncontrollable, crashing into a lorry.The body of Manglani’s younger son, Ramjeet, was severed in two following the impact of the motorcar on the lorry. Eyewitnesses told Guyana Times there were two carts parked on the road’s shoulder adjacent to the pothole.The impact of the collision pushed half of the lorry off the road and sent the paddy-laden tray pitching off into the back of a Honda wagon, removing the top half of that vehicle in the process.Manglani and her 18-year-old son, who were in the back seat, were tossed over the lorry as a result, with the woman landing on the parapet and the teen in the trench – both dead.The body of the five-year-old, who was also in the back seat, was severed at the waist, with the top half also flying over the lorry and landing in the trench running parallel to the road. The bottom half remained in the car.Kishandayal and Seeram were pinned in the front seat, and remained there until members of the Skeldon Fire Service arrived on the scene and cut open the vehicle to remove their bodies.last_img read more


first_imgA woman who was taken from her home in Co Donegal at 7am and driven in a taxi by Gardai to Mountjoy Prison for not paying her TV license has said she was terrified by her ordeal.The single mother, who is in her 40s, was forced to spend three hours in the women’s Prison Duachas, before being given a bus ticket back to her home in Donegal.The woman had been fined €450 at a previous sitting of Letterkenny District Court for not paying her TV license. However she said she had come to an agreement with local Gardai to pay back to fine over a period of time and had paid €212.The woman got the shock of her life when two Gardai called to her home at 7.10am recently and then took her by taxi to Mountjoy Prison.The woman revealed how one of the Gardai told her she was “for up the road.”The woman, who has a young son in sixth class in primary school, was forced to leave the boy in tears as she was taken from the house. The woman claimed she had been paying the fine in instalments to Letterkenny Garda station and that a total of €212 of the €450 fine had been paid off.However the woman said that while in the taxi, one of the Gardai produced a brown envelope with €212 in it which he handed back to her.Once she got to Mountjoy the woman was taken to a holding cell where she was held for three hours along with five other women.ALL of the women had been jailed because of non-payment of TV license fines.She was then released and given a bus ticket back to Donegal. The woman said she had never been more scared in all her life.And she said while she accepted that Gardai were only doing their job, she said somebody gave the order to arrest and jail her even though she was trying to her to pay the fine.She told Donegal Daily “I couldn’t believe it when the Gardai called to my home and told me I was “for up the road.” I was terrified and that distraught that I didn’t even have time to put my coat on.“I had never been given any warning letter or anything. I was doing my best and I had almost half the fine paid back. “My 11 year old son was crying his eyes out to see his mother being taken away in a Garda car. Luckily my daughter is older and she was able to look after him,” she said.The woman was taken to her local Garda station and then taken by taxi to Mountjoy Prison in Dublin, stopping off in SLigo for a cup of coffee and a cigarette.The woman said the prison authorities were more than nice but she said that didn’t stop her from being terrified.“I had never been in a prison in my life before. I was distraught. Some of the other women were trying to calm me down.“At one stage one of the officers told me that I would be going home later and that settled me a bit. But for all I knew I could have been there for a week,” she said.The woman, along with three of the other women, who were from Louth, Dundalk and Galway, were all given vouchers for bus tickets and they made their way to Bus Eireann in Dublin’s city centre.“We managed to get loss and I was a bit calmer at this stage but I still just wanted to get home to my children,” said the woman.When she arrived home around 9pm that evening, her children were lying on her bed in a distraught state.She admitted she was offered a phonecall by prison staff but was so upset she could not speak to her children.Local Donegal county councillor Gary Doherty has described the woman’s plight as “a major scandal.”He added that she made great efforts to pay the fine and claimed Gardai were in breach of the new Fines Bill which was amended last year to allow people to pay time to pay smaller fines.He said “This is a very serious issue.. Firstly, who made the decision to arrest her and take her to Mountjoy. Why wasn’t she give prior notice of her impending arrest.“Why did the Gardai still have the €212 which she paid into the Garda station in instalments? And why were two Gardai employed at the State’s expense to accompany this lady to Dublin, and a taxi charge incurred, simply to take this lady to Mountjoy for three hours?” he asked.Councillor Doherty along with Sinn Fein’s Spokesperson on Justice, Deputy Padraig Mac Lochlainn have now requested a meeting with the Garda Superintendent in Letterkenny.The woman added that she would have gladly paid all of the fine rather than spend a other minute in prison.“It’s not something I would like to do again. But I had no choice. I didn’t have the money.“But when I think of all the money that is being wasted in this country and the amount of money that this Government is wasting and how much money is being made on water charges, it makes me so angry,” she added.The woman said she did not know the cost of the taxi but a Letterkenny-based taxi-firm said the cost of a fare to Dublin was €350.WOMAN SAID SHE WAS TERRIFIED AFTER BEING TAKEN FROM HOUSE TO MOUNTJOY was last modified: February 28th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalGardaiprisonwomanlast_img read more