“I felt very good and comfortable with how everything went and look forward to my next one,” Colon said. Jered Weaver was feeling under the weather, putting his recovery for biceps tendinitis on hold. If Weaver can’t get on a mound by this weekend, he is not expected to make his first start of the season on April 6. email@example.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2731 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The USA Today reported Tuesday that Major League Baseball attorneys will be in Albany, N.Y., today to speak with the district attorney that initiated the investigation that brought Matthews’ name to the forefront. Moreno was quoted in Tuesday’s editions of the Arizona Republic sounding like he is just about at wit’s end. Moreno doesn’t want the team’s fans to be left in the dark and he is unable to provide answers to many of their questions. “It’s very frustrating,” Moreno said. “(Matthews) needs to make a statement to the fans. Our feelings were the best way was to be pro-active and talk to the fans immediately.” Bartolo Colon had an eight-minute bullpen session and reported no discomfort. Colon, who had rotator cuff damage last season, was on a mound for the first time since July. Colon did not want to speak afterward, but told an Angels representative: “It’s certainly not an ideal way to start a five-year relationship with a guy,” Stoneman said before Tuesday’s game against the San Francisco Giants. A week ago, Matthews’ name surfaced in an investigation of Internet pharmacies accused of illegally selling human growth hormone. A day later, a report on Sports Illustrated’s Web site alleged that Matthews not only had ordered human growth hormone, it said when the order took place and where it was shipped. SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – As the Gary Matthews Jr. situation drags on, the Angels front office impatiently waits for some kind of resolution. Owner Arte Moreno is upset, general manager Bill Stoneman is shaking his head and Matthews is keeping quiet.
A 56-year-old motorcyclist died when he collapsed during an off-road scramble in fields around Donegal.Victor McAlonan had been out with three friends and an instructor riding motorbikes on February 11th, 2017 at Downniesbar, near the village of Glen neat Lough Salt. The men had been in good spirits and had already been riding their VJP Pro bikes for a period of time.Under instruction of Paul McGuigan of Dirtbike Tours in Tyrone, the men decided to come down a descent.Victor McAlonan was at the rear of the group.Mr McGuigan told an inquest into the death of Mr McAlonan at Letterkenny Coroner’s Court that after about 40 metres, he looked back and could only see three bikers.He said ” stopped to do a head-count and I said “we’re a man down.”Mr McGuigan went back to locate Mr McAlonan and found him with the 100 kilogramme bike lying on the lower part of his body.He was unresponsive and he could not find a pulse from the victim.He said there was no sign of a collision or an impact and it appeared that Victor had only traveled half a metre from where he last left him at the start of the descent.The emergency services were contacted and members of the emergency personnel rushed to the scene.Because of the steepness of the terrain, the ambulance could not access the victim and a paramedic managed to get a lift on the back of one of the off-road bikes ridden by Mr McGuigan.A decision was then made to summon an emergency helicopter and the casualty was put on a spinal board and winched on board the chopper and taken to Letterkenny University Hospital but was pronounced dead.Mr McAlonan’s nephew Richard said his uncle was not carrying any weight and that he was not aware that he had a heart condition.Pathologist Dr Hajnalka Gyorffy said there were no external injuries including bruising on the body of Mr McAlanon from Main Street, Cullybackey, Co Antrim.However, she added there had been significent findings of heart disease.Coroner Dr Denis McCauley said it was his finding that Mr McAlonan died from natural causes as a result of coronary deficiency.He added “If he had been walking down Portrush it could have happened. We don’t think that the accident contributed to his death. The signs are that his heart stopped as a result of heart disease.”He paid tribute to the emergency services including Mulroy Coastguard for attempting to save Victor.Motorcyclist died from heart attack during off-road trail in Donegal was last modified: November 22nd, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalgleninquestmotorbikeVictor McAlonan
Wise Wayz Water Care (WWWC) programme is based on the South Coast of Durban- in the communities of Folweni and Ezimbokodweni. It is there where the desire grew from two community groups at grassroot level – to restore and manage the communities’ dwindling natural resources and build a sustainable project for future generations to come. The programme stemmed from humble efforts by the local citizens to empower themselves in order to mitigate the social, economic and environmental challenges that confronted them.As South Africa is a water stressed country and has been experiencing droughts and low water levels, this stimulated the community to protect the aquatic ecosystems, such as the wetlands,rivers and streams of Ezimbokodweni and Folweni.It was community members like Desmond Malgas, who is now a project coordinator, who went knocking for assistance and support from corporates and organisations, to endorse their project and indeed, the AECI Community Education and Development Trust jumped onboard. This is how the WWWC programme was born.Since its inception in 2016, the programme has been able to bring hope to the lives of the downtrodden communities of Folweni and Ezimbokodweni and has allowed them to think beyond their circumstances. Mr Malgas, alludes to how the project has personally helped him to develop and improve himself in terms of learning about governance, and the skills that he has acquired through the training he has received. He further extols that it has also allowed him “to grow, find full expression through uplifting his community and changing his mindset to see a better future”.Its three-tier model encompasses the different levels of donor, implementer and beneficiary. This project, funded by the AECI Community Education and Development Trust and implemented by i4WATER – has been able to build synergy between corporates and the community, by introducing interventions that develop sustainable livelihoods through impactful and practical measures. Some of the interventions include water conservation, food security, solid waste management, alien plant management, aquatic assessment and monitoring as well as Sinqonqozela Ulwazi (which aims to educate the community and create awareness around waste management).The Wise Wayz Water Care team with members of the AECI Community Education and Development Trust and Brand SA representatives at the interactive site visit.The programme has had a huge impact on the members who have also become beneficiaries of the project in several ways. It has been able to give the youth and elderly members a stepping stone to realising their future prospects through providing skills and knowledge on a basic, intermediate and advanced level. It has also trained and supported the commercial agriculture start-up of the project’s food security intervention by supporting community gardens. The food garden component has yielded a supply of vegetables for consumption by the community. The project recently won its first contract to get profits from their Invasive Alien Plant clearing start-up.Although they have faced several challenges, it is their vision to upscale the piloted model and continue successful sustainable change throughout the country. This keeps an implementer such as Ntswaki Ditlhale of i4WATER committed to the values and vision of the project.For more information on the Wise Wayz Water Care programme, click on the link below:You can also contact them on the following platforms:E-mail: kirsten@i4WATER.org or ntswaki@i4WATER.orgTwitter: @wwwczaFacebook: Wise Wayz Water CareWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said AFSPA, the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958, will continue in Nagaland as it is a “special case” and the “peace agreement” hasn’t been finalised there yet.Nagaland is the only State in the northeast, apart from eight police stations in Arunachal Pradesh, where ASFPA continues to be imposed by the Union Home Ministry.Nagaland, Manipur and Assam are the only three States in the northeast that continue to be under AFSPA.Last year, the Home Ministry gave up its power and asked the Assam government to take a decision on continuing AFSPA in the State. The Act gives powers to the Army and the Central forces deployed in “disturbed areas” to kill anyone acting in contravention of law, arrest and search any premises without a warrant and provide cover to forces from prosecution and legal suits without the Centre’s sanction.State to renew pleaNagaland’s Deputy Chief Minister Y. Patton said the State government would reiterate its request to the Centre to revoke AFSPA.“The discussion on the Naga political situation is on and we are expecting the Government of India to solve the problem at the earliest. We have requested to lift AFSPA but we have been asked to wait for some time. When the solution (Naga deal) comes, automatically AFSPA will go,” Mr. Patton said.NSCN-IM signed a framework agreement with the Government of India on August 3, 2015 to find a solution to the Naga issue.The NSCN-IM has been fighting for ‘Greater Nagaland’ or Nagalim — it wants to extend Nagaland’s borders by including Naga-dominated areas in neighbouring Assam, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh, to unite 1.2 million Nagas.Mr. Rijiju told The Hindu, “Revocation of AFSPA in Meghalaya is definitely related to improvement of the security scenario in the northeast. AFSPA is imposed both by the State and the Centre. It was withdrawn by Tripura (in 2015).‘No politics’“It is a joint effort by the State government and the Centre. Security is a subject where both the Centre and the State should come together without any politics. In Assam also the situation has improved, that is why the Home Ministry withdrew it but it is imposed by the State government.”He said he was not sure if AFSPA would be lifted from Nagaland in future.‘Many factions involved’“Nagaland is a special case…the peace agreement has not come about yet. There are many underground factions as well. There are issues like rivalry among different factions…I cannot say about the future policy,” Mr. Rijiju said. On April 1, the Home Ministry revoked AFSPA in Meghalaya and restricted it to eight police stations instead of 16 in Arunachal Pradesh.Nagaland, Manipur and Assam are the only three States in the northeast that continue to be under AFSPA. Except Tripura and Manipur, the Centre was issuing such notifications for Assam, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya.Last year, the Home Ministry gave up its power and asked the Assam government to take a decision on continuing AFSPA in the State. In the case of Assam (excluding areas covered by the Guwahati municipality) and Manipur (except seven Assembly constituencies in Imphal) the respective State governments exercise the right.As per the Home Ministry’s data, in the northeast, there has been a reduction of 96 % in casualties among the security forces from 289 in 1997 to 12 in 2017. Civilian casualties also dropped by 96% from 907 in 2000 to 37 last year. The year 2017 recorded the lowest insurgency incidents.