Patrick McCarthy will continue to serve as FFG chairman through the end of the year, Condé Nast said. The FFG includes WWD, WWD.com, Footwear News, Fairchild Summits, Fairchild Books and associated trade shows.Last year, ad pages at 450,000-circ. W evaporated—declining 45.8 percent, according to Publishers Information Bureau figures. Consumer fashion title W no longer will be managed by Condé Nast’s Fairchild Fashion Group, the publisher announced Wednesday morning.According to Condé Nast president and CEO Chuck Townsend, the restructuring “formally establishes a structure for W consistent with our other consumer magazine titles, and allows FFG the autonomy to focus on their core business-to-business publications and related businesses.”As a result of the restructuring, the senior editorial staff that was shared by W and trade title WWD will now work exclusively for WWD. Edward Nardoza, editor-in-chief of WWD, will report to FFG president and CEO Gina Sanders. Condé Nast will now search for a top editor for W.
Making digital payments.PixabayNational Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Reliance Retail announced the launch of a new in-store payment solution that will enable customer payments via Unified Payments Interface (UPI) platforms like BHIM or other bank-promoted UPI payment apps. The platform is architected by Bangalore-based Innoviti Payment Solutions, with process support from Axis Bank.Reliance Retail is the first organised retail chain in the country to offer its customers the option of mobile-based UPI app payments at its stores.The new in-store UPI payment facility is currently live in more than 200 Reliance Retail stores in Mumbai across formats including Reliance Fresh, Reliance Smart, Reliance Digital, Reliance Trends, and Reliance Footprint among others. The facility will be progressively rolled out nationally across all Reliance Retail stores. The integration will provide a convenient and seamless payment experience to Reliance Retail customers. “As part of NPCI’s overall mission to encourage faster adoption of cashless payments in retail, the current rollout opens the path to extending UPI payment acceptance to potentially all the card accepting merchants in India. With the fast growing popularity of UPI-payment apps like NPCI’s BHIM app which has seen close to 20 million downloads, this initiative will increase UPI payment acceptance points in retail stores. It is expected to play a vital role in driving a more cashless future,” A P Hota, MD & CEO, NPCI, said in a statement.Reliance Retail said the tie-up will give a fillip to India’s digital push.”Reliance Retail is happy to be the first organized retailer in the country to introduce this additional convenience and choice of digital transaction for customers through UPI app based payment facility at over 200 stores comprising Reliance Fresh, Reliance Smart, Reliance Digital and others in Mumbai. Progressively, the facility will be rolled-out to other Reliance Retail stores across the country,” V Subramaniam, Director, Reliance Retail said.
Nurul Islam NahidEducation minister Nurul Islam Nahid on Saturday urged the students to calm down and return to classes saying that the government has taken steps for fulfilling their demands, reports UNB.The minister made the urge while talking to reporters after attending the convocation ceremony of Metropolitan University in Sylhet.Expressing shock at the death of two college students in a recent road crash in Dhaka, Nahid urged the protesters to be patient and return to their classes.The government has taken all the necessary steps to fulfill the demands of students and stood beside the families of the deceased students and taken the responsibilities of treatment of injured ones, the minister said.”The students must realize that blocking the road day after day will cause misery to the citizens, this should not be a form of movement”, he said.He hoped that now the students will return to their classes and their demands will be fulfilled in phases.
2 female ‘militants’ surrender at Narsingdi ‘militant den’Two female ‘militants’ surrendered on the second day of the ‘Gordian Knot’ operation at another ‘militant den’ at Gangpar in Madhabdi municipality area of Narsingdi on Wednesday, reports UNB.They were named as Khadiza Akther Meghla and Mou.UNB Narsingdi correspondent from the spot said they were taken out of the building by an ambulance of Narsingdi fire service around 2:35pm and they were being taken to Dhaka.Earlier, the law enforcers asked them several times over loudspeakers to surrender.CTTC members in association with the local police surrounded the building of owned by Afzal Haji since Monday night.Members of CTTC unit and Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) earlier conducted an operation at a ‘militant den’ in a five-story building at Bhogiratpur on Tuesday afternoon and recovered the bodies of two suspected militants.Deputy inspector general (DIG) of Dhaka Range Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun was also present there.
A woman carrying her son arrives to check her name on the draft list of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) at an NRC center in Chandamari village in Goalpara district in the northeastern state of Assam, India, 2 January, 2018. Photo: ReutersIndia said on Monday it had excluded more than 4 million people from a draft list of citizens in the border state of Assam who could not produce valid documents, a move that has sparked fears about the future of thousands in the region.Security has been tightened across the state, which borders Bangladesh, as thousands of Bengali-speaking Muslims worry about being sent to detention centres or deported, a Reuters witness said.The tea-rich state of Assam has long been the centre of social and communal tensions with locals campaigning against illegal immigrants, a fight that Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Hindu nationalist-led government has championed.In 1983, scores of people were chased down and killed by machete-armed mobs intent on hounding out Muslim immigrants.The government said the draft was not meant to drive people out and those struck out of the list would have a chance to re-apply.”Based on this draft, there is no question of anyone being taken to detention centres or foreigners’ tribunal,” Sailesh, India’s census commissioner who uses only one name, told rerporters in Guwahati, the state’s main city.Hundreds of thousands of people fled to India from Bangladesh during Bangladesh’s war of independence from Pakistan in the early 1970s. Most of them settled in Assam, which has a near-270 km (165-mile) border with Bangladesh.More than 30 million people had applied and 4,007,707 had been excluded from the list, Sailesh said.To be recognised as Indian citizens, all residents of Assam had to produce documents proving that they or their families lived in the country before March 24, 1971.Sailesh did not provide a breakup of people who had failed to make to the draft list.Critics see the citizenship test as another measure supported by Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) aimed at minority Muslims. The BJP denies any bias but says it opposes a policy of appeasement of any community.Authorities in the state have previously said the citizenship test was crucial to protect ethnic Assamese, many of whom have demanded removal of outsiders they accuse of taking jobs and cornering resources in the state of 33 million.The first draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), released on Dec. 31, confirmed the citizenship of 19 million people, leading to jubilation for some and heartbreak among others.The NRC, however, told the Supreme Court this month that 150,000 people from the first list, a third of them married women, would be dropped from the next one, mainly because they provided false information or gave inadmissible documents.”If the government has decided to brand us foreigners what can we do?” said Abdul Suban, 60, a Bengali-speaking Muslim, earlier.”The NRC is trying to finish us off. Our people have died here, but we will not leave this place.”