MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — Second Cup ended last year with its first positive same-store sales quarter since 2012.Same-store sales for locations open at least a year were up 0.2 per cent in the fourth quarter — the first time Second Cup has had positive same-store sales in 14 quarters going back to early 2013.The chain of coffee shops had $94,000 of net income in the three months ended Dec. 26, or one cent per share, compared with a loss of $469,000 or four cents per share in the same quarter a year earlier.Second Cup (TSX:SCU) has been working to revitalize its brand and franchise network amid stiff competition from other coffee companies including Starbucks and restaurant chains including Tim Hortons and McDonald’s.Second Cup’s second coming? Take a tour of the coffee chain’s new souped-up cafe in downtown TorontoWhy Ottawa-based coffee shop Bridgehead doesn’t see Starbucks as a threatThe company’s full-year loss was reduced to $1.153 million or nine cents per share, an improvement from the $27 million loss or $2.66 per share in 2014.System-wide sales by the cafes fell to $46.9 million in the fourth quarter, from $49.4 million a year earlier when Second Cup had 37 more locations in its network.Revenue for the quarter rose to $9.6 million from $8.4 million.At the end of 2015, Second Cup had 310 cafes, including 32 owned by the parent company.
Alex Foulds, Southern passenger services’ director, said the two-day strike would “achieve nothing”.”Passengers will be rightly dismayed that the RMT has chosen to disrupt services yet again,” he said. “After many months of trying to reach agreement with the RMT, we are now moving forward with our plans for the benefit of customers and we urge the RMT to join us in putting passengers first.”We have guaranteed all our on-board staff a job until the end of the franchise, with no reduction in salary. Our plans are safe, and will mean fewer cancelled trains. We are sorry that our passengers will once again suffer because of RMT intransigence, and we urge the union to work with us to find a sensible way forward.” The industrial action centres on the role of guards on Southern trainsCredit:Carl Court /Getty Campaigners from Disabled People Against Cuts said they believe Southern risks “taking a significant retrograde step” if it starts a driver-only operation.A spokesman said: “We believe that if a train runs driver-only operation to an unstaffed station with a passenger who is unable to exit the train unassisted, then an offence will be committed under the Equality Act 2010.”After 30 years of commitment, effort and public expenditure to ensure that disabled people can travel by train, as by other modes, with confidence, we risk taking a significant retrograde step that will effectively deny people those hard-won rights. That is simply unacceptable.” A Southern Rail employee hands out flyers as she takes part in a strike against company working practicesCredit:Carl Court/Getty A Southern Rail employee erects a banner opposite Victoria station in central London as she takes part in a strikeCredit:Carl Court/Getty Please please please don’t leave me stuck in London today train strikes!!!! 🙏🏽😫 @SouthernRailUK— Louisa Bettine (@LouisaBettine) September 7, 2016 Come on then Southern… Let’s see how long it’ll take me to get to work today then! So pleased I’m off tomorrow #Southernstrike— Graham Lamb (@GrahamLamb82) September 7, 2016 Clapham Junction station in London during rush hour in August amid previous strike actionCredit:Nick Edwards He added: “RMT remains available for serious talks but GTR clearly have no interest in resolving the dispute and it is also clear that the Government are propping them up financially and politically.”Just a fraction of the £100 million the GTR parent company is hoarding in profits would be enough to keep a guard on the Southern trains, keep the trains safe and accessible and resolve the dispute.”It is absolutely right to call for the Government to intervene and to hold those responsible for this continuing shambles to account.”Mr Cash added: “Reports from all locations this morning confirm that the strike action is rock-solid and determined again across the Southern Rail network as we fight to put rail safety and access before the profits of the failed Govia Thameslink operation.” Mick Cash, RMT general secretary, said the union supported points raised by the campaigners as they put disabled people “at a substantial disadvantage”. “GTR, hoarding £100 million in profits and soaking up public funds, have ignored these points right from the off,” he said. “That attitude is disgraceful.” Southern said it had put 119 trains back into its temporary weekday timetable, restoring the entire inner London metro service so that almost all London Bridge peak trains are now running, and tripling the number of trains operating on the West London Line.The temporary timetable was introduced with 341 fewer trains on July 11 following “unprecedented” sickness levels among train crew. @SouthernRailUK there goes my train that arrived at the ecr so overcrowded that people were getting pushed out pic.twitter.com/61ZbvUpYa0— Mark Payne (@markstephenpay1) September 7, 2016 Hundreds of commuters are facing travel chaos including delays and cancellations as workers at Southern Railway launched a fresh strike in a long-running row over changes to the role of conductors. Disability campaigners joined a picket line outside London Victoria station as members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) walked out for 48 hours.More than two out of five trains will be cancelled, while there will be no service on some routes. Many trains will start late and finish early, although Southern plans to run up to 60 per cent of its services during the industrial action.Commuters took to social media on Wednesday morning to complain about the service. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.