Eight state media journalists still held in police-run “Agip” centre in Asmara

first_img Prisoner of Conscience Since 2001 – Why has Sweden not managed to bring Dawit Isaak home? November 30, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Eight state media journalists still held in police-run “Agip” centre in Asmara to go further Follow the news on Eritrea EritreaAfrica RSF_en January 13, 2021 Find out more EritreaAfrica RSF urges Swedish judicial authorities to reverse Dawit Isaak decision Help by sharing this information News Swedish prosecutors again refuse to investigate Dawit Isaak case Reporters Without Borders today disputed Eritrean information minister Ali Abdu’s claim that nine journalists arrested on 12 November have been released, insisting that only one of the nine has been freed and the other eight are still being held. The journalist who was released is Simon Zewde (previously identified as “Simon”), who works for the state television station Eri-TV.The press freedom organisation also condemned Sudanese complicity in Eritrea’s press freedom violations, which led to the arbitrary closure in early November of the Eritrean radio station Al-Sharq, which had been broadcasting news in Tigrinya to western Eritrea from the Sudanese capital of Khartoum and the eastern town of Khasm al-Girbah for nine hours a day for the past year.The closure of Al-Sharq is the result of a rapprochement between Asmara and Khartoum after Eritrea played a key role in the signing of an according with the Sudanese rebel movement operating in the eastern part of the country. On 3 November, Sudan and Eritrea signed an accord under which Sudan will supply its neighbour with oil and cross-border trade is reestablished.Reporters Without Borders has been able to obtain that exact names and details of all of the detained state media journalists. Some of this information was missing when the organisation first reported their arrests.The eight journalists still being held are Ahmed “Bahja” Idris of Eri-TV, presenter Senait Tesfay of Eri-TV’s Tigrinya-language service, Paulos Kidane of Eri-TV’s Amharic-language service and Radio Dimtsi Hafash (Voice of the Broad Masses), Daniel Mussie of Radio Dimtsi Hafash’s Oromo-language service, Temesghen Abay of Radio Dimtsi Hafash’s Tigrinya-language service, Yemane Haile of the Eritrean News Agency (ENA), presenter Fathia Khaled of Eri-TV’s Arabic-language service and Amir Ibrahim of Eri-TV’s Arabic-language service.Contrary to the information initially received by Reporters Without Borders, these journalists are being held in the capital, Asmara, in a police-run complex that is called “Agip” because the Italian oil company of that name used to have installations there.Located behind the “Capitol” cinema and opposite the presidential palace, this complex is “where the police take detainees to torture them before transferring them to their final destination,” a former detainee told Reporters Without Borders. The detained journalists are reportedly in the charge of Col. Simon Gebredinghel and Lt. Col. Tekhelesghi Estifanos.Asked about the arrests by Agence France-Presse on 23 November, the information minister replied: “It was a routine matter and they have been released.” Presidential spokesperson Yemane Gebremeskel told the Associated Press on 24 November he was not aware of the arrests.To see “Agip”, download Google Earth location April 14, 2021 Find out more Reports Receive email alerts News News Organisation Reporters Without Borders today disputed Eritrean information minister Ali Abdu’s claim that nine journalists arrested on 12 November have been released, insisting that only one of the nine has been freed and the other eight are still being held. The press freedom organisation also condemned Sudanese complicity in Eritrea’s press freedom violations, which led to the arbitrary closure in early November of the Eritrean radio station Al-Sharq. October 27, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

UK pension funds among winners of £4.2bn London infrastructure project

first_imgIPE understands PIP investors accounts for the majority of the UK investment. The PIP, set up by the UK National Association of Pension Funds (NAPF) to channel investment into UK infrastructure, declined to comment. In addition to Dalmore, the consortium included Allianz Capital Partners, Amber Infrastructure Group, DIF and Swiss Life Asset Managers.The PIP’s involvement in Dalmore’s TTT fund represents its first foray into UK development infrastructure after focusing on PPP equity and solar investments since the first investment in 2014.Seven founding pension fund investors, including the Pension Protection Fund (PPF), the Railways Pension Scheme and the Strathclyde and West Midlands local government funds, originally backed the platform in 2012. Five investors allocated capital to Dalmore’s PPP fund.The PIP has since added a solar fund from Aviva Investors and is seeking authorisation from the UK’s financial regulator to become a standalone investor.In February, PIP chief executive Mike Weston said he expected the platform to grow and be able to invest in large-scale UK projects – and acknowledged discussions around the TTT had taken place.The overall vision for the PIP is to hold a mixture of direct and indirect investments, using external partners initially before developing in-house capabilities.The TTT project will create a new sewer and construct a 25km tunnel underneath London’s River Thames, with completion due by 2023.The consortium said it would benefit from revenues as soon as construction began next year.Once operational, the project will be controlled by quasi-government regulator OFWAT.The group beat 11 other bidders in a tender process managed by Thames Water, the London water provider. An asset manager partnered with the UK’s Pensions Infrastructure Platform (PIP) has helped form a winning consortium on a large-scale London infrastructure project.Dalmore Capital, the first asset manager to invest PIP money via a series of public/private partnership (PPP) equity investments, is part of the Bazalgette Consortium that will finance the £4.2bn (€5.9bn) Thames Tideway Tunnel (TTT) – an upgrade of London’s ageing sewer network.Earlier this month, PIP investors made a £370m co-investment alongside Dalmore, in addition to the £500m in Dalmore’s PPP Equity PiP fund – taking total commitments associated with the platform to more than £1bn.Dalmore said it secured £440m of commitments for its TTT fund from a number of UK pension funds and a small number of European investors. last_img read more

Moses helps Nigeria thrash Cameroon 4-0

first_img0Shares0000Victor Moses was the star of the day in their 4-0 victory over rivals CameroonUYO, Nigeria, Sep 1 – Chelsea ace Victor Moses and Chinese-based Odion Ighalo starred as Nigeria trounced Cameroon 4-0 on Friday to take a big step towards qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.The Super Eagles moved up to nine points from three matches in Group B in Africa zone qualifying, while Cameroon remain on two points. Both teams clash again on Monday in Yaounde. Zambia and Algeria have a point each and meet on Saturday in Lusaka.After a rather tentative start by the home team, Ighalo marked his return with the opening goal after 29 minutes.He overpowered his marker after he received a clever assist from skipper Mikel John Obi before he fired past a diving goalkeeper Fabrice Ondoa.The Eagles doubled their lead in the 43rd minute, when Mikel turned scorer by poking a Victor Moses corner from the left beyond the Cameroon goalkeeper.In the 55th minute, Moses made it 3-0 when he initiated a quick counter and then released Moses Simon, who did well to pass back to his namesake, who fired the third goal.A fourth goal from a flying header by substitute Kelechi Iheanacho off an Onazi Ogenyi cross in the 76th minute crowned a very satisfying outing for the hosts.Both teams went into the attack from the first whistle with Cameroon threatening through Moumi Ngamaleu, but his effort from inside the box missed narrowly as Ikechukwu Ezenwa was the busier of the two goalkeepers in the early minutes of the game.The Indomitable Lions took the game to Nigeria rather than sit back in their defence.The Egyptian referee struck off a Nigerian goal by Ighalo for offside after 24 minutes, before Victor Moses header off a Moses Simon cross missed target four minutes later.However, the home fans celebrated the first goal of this bruising contest just before the half hour with Nigeria never looking back to seal an important win.Cameroon had their chances. In the 48th minute Ezenwa did well to save a low drive by Zambo Anguissa.Ezenwa then kept out a tricky shot from distance in the 64th minute before Nigeria again surged forward to create two more goals and complete the demolition of the Indomitable Lions.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Warriors’ Klay Thompson will start Game 4; should he have played Game 3?

first_imgKlay Thompson will play Friday night in Game 4 of the NBA Finals, Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports reported.Thompson injured his left hamstring late in the Warriors’ Game 2 triumph. Though Thompson lobbied the coaching staff to play Game 3 on Wednesday, he was held out by coach Steve Kerr. Without Thompson, Kevin Durant and Kevon Looney, and despite Stephen Curry’s 47-point outburst, the Warriors lost 123-109 and are down 2-1 to the Toronto Raptors in the best-of-seven series.“The whole point …last_img read more

Raiders elevate LB Justin Phillips, release WR Ryan Grant

first_imgALAMEDA — The Raiders released wide receiver Ryan Grant Wednesday in order to elevate linebacker Justin Phillips from the practice squad.Grant had just four receptions for 14 and was inactive in favor of J.J. Nelson in Sunday’s 34-14 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. In Week 2 against the Kansas City Chiefs, Grant had one reception in five targets for a loss of two yards.With Grant’s release, the Raiders have five wide receivers on the roster — Tyrell Williams, Hunter Renfrow, Nelson, Dwayne …last_img read more

Video: Colin Cowherd Brings The Doom And Gloom As He Breaks Down Wisconsin’s 2016 Schedule

first_imgColin Cowherd goes through Wisconsin's football schedule.YouTube/Colin CowherdOn his show, FOX Sports 1’s Colin Cowherd has been going through the schedules of major college football programs and giving his early projections for the upcoming season. He likes Michigan and USC this fall, but when it comes to the Wisconsin Badgers, his breakdown is not nearly as encouraging.Cowherd’s four biggest factors that play into his prediction are:1. The loss of defensive coordinator Dave Aranda to LSU.2. The graduation of Joel Stave.3. Wisconsin’s schedule: “the toughest schedule I think I’ve seen in the Big Ten in years.”4. The defense is strong in the back, a bit weaker up front.Here is Cowherd’s full breakdown: That is a 6-6 season, with wins over Akron, Georgia State, Nebraska, Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota, and losses to Alabama, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, and Northwestern. He’s not wrong about the schedule; the Badgers play the four best teams from the 2015 Big Ten season in a row from September 24 to October 22. Yikes.last_img read more

Ohio State mens basketball trying to right the ship before postseason play

Senior forward Sam Thompson (right) keeps his eye on the ball during a game against Penn State on Feb. 11 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 75-55.Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographerWith just four regular season games remaining before tournament play takes over the college basketball landscape, the Ohio State men’s basketball team is limping back to Columbus.Having played eight of its last 12 games on the road, the Buckeyes have lost three of their last five games including back-to-back losses to Michigan and Michigan State. The good news for OSU is that three of its last four games are set to be played at the Schottenstein Center, with the last road game coming against Penn State next Wednesday.OSU coach Thad Matta said he knew months ago that the current stretch of road games could make or break the Buckeyes’ season.“I knew in July when the Big Ten schedule came out, I said, ‘My God, coming out of Ann Arbor if our heads are above water, and we’ve got a decent mojo about us, we’ve got a shot,’” Matta said Wednesday. “The biggest thing that I’m at right now is, ‘Hey guys, look, we’re OK. We know what we’ve gotta do, we know how we’ve gotta do it, now let’s walk out on the court and get the job done.’”Doing just that will be key if the Buckeyes want to make their seventh straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.OSU, which has slipped to a No. 8 seed in ESPN’s most recent bracket projections, has not been seeded that low since the 2009 tournament when the Buckeyes fell to No. 9 seed Siena in double overtime.That team, which lost in Dayton, boasted just one senior (a walk-on) and had little NCAA Tournament experience.Despite that, Matta said he doesn’t believe he has to do anything extra to motivate or educate his current freshman-laden roster about the big dance.“Times have changed. I remember, I don’t know if it was ‘08, I had a team meeting one time and said, ‘How many of you freshmen know how to get in the NCAA tournament?’ They didn’t know,” Matta said. “Now, that’s been seven years ago and everybody knows. I like where they (the current freshmen) are in terms of how they’re playing and how they are getting better. I would hope the four seniors that have been here would be telling them those things. I am sure they know that, I don’t like to bring it up.”One of those seniors, forward Sam Thompson, has been as far as the Final Four in the tournament.Thompson, who played 12 minutes in a 64-62 loss to the Kansas Jayhawks in the 2012 semifinal as a freshman, said getting back to the NCAA Tournament remains in OSU’s sights.“Obviously the end goal is to make the NCAA Tournament. For the seniors that have been deep in the tournament, we know that there is no better feeling,” Thompson said. “For the young guys, they all came here for an opportunity to play in the tournament. We know that we have some work to do, as far as our résumé, but our goal is to get better, our goal is to play our best basketball. We know if we do that, everything else will work itself out.”The Buckeyes are getting set to try and right the ship Thursday against the Nebraska Cornhuskers, who have dropped their last five games.Despite the Cornhuskers’ poor form, Thompson said he expects a motivated and fired-up squad coming in from Lincoln, Neb.The Cornhuskers might have extra motivation coming from the fact that coach Tim Miles revoked the team’s access to their locker room after a 74-46 loss at home to the Iowa Hawkeyes on Sunday.“I didn’t hear anything about it until coach Matta told us when he was sort of setting the stage,” Thompson said of Nebraska’s lockout. “We know they are going to come in and play hard. I guess their locker room is on the line now. We know they are going to come in and give us their best shot. We know that we have to be ready to play. Our mindset doesn’t really change.”The Buckeyes and Cornhuskers are set to tip off at the Schottenstein Center at 7 p.m. read more

Under I grew up watching videos of Leo Messi

first_imgAS Roma’s Cengiz Under has spoken of the sensation he felt playing against his childhood hero Lionel Messi, after their shock win against BarcelonaThe Giallorossi produced one of the biggest and surprising comebacks in the history of the Champions League on Tuesday night, where they overcame a 4-1 deficit from the first leg to defeat Barcelona 3-0 at the Stadio Olimpico and progress to their first semi-final appearance since the 1983/84 season.Under was on the bench for the decisive encounter, but came on for Patrick Schick in the 73rd minute and played a critical role by assisting Kostas Manoles nine minutes later for the decisive goal.David Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.In an interview with Sporx, the Turkey international was still getting over the sensation of having played against Messi and revealed his delight with the win.“I grew up watching videos of Leo Messi,” said Under, according to Football-Italia.“That’s how it was since I was 10. Playing on the pitch with him was indescribable, and obviously I’m delighted with this win.”last_img read more

Barca boss wants to win Champions League and La Liga

first_imgBarcelona boss Ernesto Valverde was asked about Valladolid, the state of their pitch and the controversial plan for the Blaugrana’s trip to Girona on January 27 being played in the US and this is what he says:“The newly-promoted teams play with enthusiasm early on. They still have the joy of promotion on their minds and channel it on to the field,” he said as quoted by Football Espana.“They’re a dangerous team, so we must take that into account. It’s not normal to relay the pitch four days before a match, although Camp Nou isn’t at its best either.“The players are an important part of the show. They have a voice and something to say. They only want to be heard.”Finally, does Valverde believe Real Madrid are weakened by Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit?David Villa, SpainQuiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“It’s a similar situation to ours with Neymar, which gave us the strength to grow. I see them in the same way,” he concluded.“I want to win the Champions League like everyone else, as well as La Liga. It’s normal to get excited.”Barca squad for Valladolid: Ter Stegen, Ezkieta; Semedo, Sergi Roberto, Pique, Umtiti, Lenglet, Alba; Busquets, Rakitic, Coutinho, Arthur, Arturo Vidal; Messi, Suarez, Dembele, Malcom, Munirlast_img read more