Oman’s foreign minister spoke to his Israeli counterpart on Monday, Muscat said, the first contact since Israel normalized ties with the United Arab Emirates last week.Yusuf bin Alawi subsequently spoke with a top Palestinian official, Oman added.The Israel-UAE deal, announced by US President Donald Trump on Thursday, is only the third such accord Israel has struck with an Arab country, and raises the prospect of similar deals with other pro-Western Gulf states. Also Monday, bin Alawi spoke with senior Fatah official Jibril Rajub, who expressed his “appreciation of the role of the sultanate and its balanced and wise policy towards Arab issues and, foremost, the Palestinian question,” according to Oman’s foreign ministry.The Palestinian Authority has voiced its “strong rejection and condemnation” of the Israeli-Emirati deal. Topics : Bin Alawi and Israel’s Gabi Ashkenazi spoke via telephone about “recent developments in the region,” Oman’s foreign ministry said on Twitter.Muscat had already expressed its support for the deal, and bin Alawi told Ashkenazi that Oman “clearly reaffirms its position calling for a comprehensive, just and lasting peace” in the Middle East.Bin Alawi also called for a “resumption of the peace process in order to satisfy the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people who aspire to an independent state.”While Oman and Israel do not have formal diplomatic relations, there have been several contacts between the two states, including in 2018, when the late sultan Qaboos received Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Muscat.
Authorities in Mount Shasta, California have arrested a man after he arrived to the police station with a body in his vehicle and confessed to killing four people.The incident occurred at 12:11 pm Monday.Officials say the suspect walked into the lobby of the Mt Shasta Police station and told authorities that he murdered four people inside of his apartment in Roseville.Investigators found a deceased person inside the suspect’s vehicle and another three bodies inside the suspects apartment which was over 200 miles away.Investigators reported that they believe the suspect knew the victims and stated that he was not a threat to the general public.The name of the suspect and the victims have not yet been released by police. Authorities also did not provide any other details on the killings.
Mike Tomlin talks with cornerback Ike Taylor (24) during the first half of an NFL football game against the Detroit Lions in Pittsburgh, Nov. 17. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)PITTSBURGH (AP) – The math is tantalizing.The schedule is favorable.The middle of the AFC is a mess.Suddenly, things are looking up for the Pittsburgh Steelers.Consecutive wins over Buffalo and Detroit have Pittsburgh (4-6) in position to play meaningful football into December if not January.“We feel like we have a good team, but when we mention those things, people say ‘Your record says you’re not,” wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. “We’ve just got to continue to fight this thing out and see what happens. We have to keep it going.”Cotchery allows his team’s margin for error is “nonexistent,” though the final six weeks hardly look intimidating.Starting with Sunday’s game at Cleveland (4-6), the Steelers face just one team with a winning record the rest of the way. And even that Dec. 15 showdown with AFC North-leading Cincinnati is at Heinz Field.The other five games include two against the Browns, a Thanksgiving night matchup at struggling Baltimore (4-6) and a visit by the Miami Dolphins on Dec. 8.What was billed as the return of former Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace could take a backseat to something considerably more substantial.Miami and the New York Jets are tied for the sixth and final AFC playoff spot at 5-5. Pittsburgh already owns the tiebreaker over the Jets after picking up a victory on the road last month.It’s not much hope to cling to, but it beats the alternative. The Steelers were reading the obituary on their season after a humbling 55-31 loss to New England dropped them to 2-6 at the midway point and 15th in the 16-team AFC.Two promising weeks later, they’re 10th with plenty of time left.The crossroads may have come in the fourth quarter against Detroit. The Lions had just botched a fake field goal attempt but pinned the Steelers at their own 3 early in the fourth quarter.Facing third-and-9, Roethlisberger hit Antonio Brown for a 16-yard gain. The drive ended in a touchdown and Pittsburgh was on its way to its most significant victory of the season.“I don’t know if it’s a turning point, but hopefully we can look back in 3-4 months and say it was,” tight end Heath Miller said.This isn’t the first time this fall Pittsburgh appeared poised to break out of a rut. The Steelers beat the Jets and the Ravens after an 0-4 start and spark belief that better days were ahead.Pittsburgh then went out and bumbled its way to a 21-18 loss to Oakland before Tom Brady picked the Steelers apart and sent the franchise into full-blown crisis mode.Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau talked about going back to “page one” in the playbook after giving up 610 yards to the Patriots. He vowed to simplify things and his defense has responded with a pair of solid performances.The Steelers overwhelmed Buffalo quarterback E.J. Manuel in a 23-10 romp and shut down the high-powered Lions after surviving a 27-point deluge in the second quarter.Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford completed just 3 of 16 passes after halftime and wide receiver Calvin Johnson never got his hands on the ball in the second half as Pittsburgh rallied.Perhaps just as encouraging as the results were the plays the Steelers were able to produce. Lawrence Timmons recovered a fumble and returned it 30 yards to set up a score.Nose tackle Steve McLendon forced Lions holder Sam Martin to fumble during the fake field goal and safety Will Allen intercepted Stafford in the fourth quarter to put Roethlisberger in position for the game-clinching touchdown.Those were the kind of plays Pittsburgh didn’t make for several weeks early in the season, something that weighed on them in the locker room.“When you’re not getting them, you try to downplay it like it doesn’t matter,” safety Ryan Clark said. “But when you’re getting them you understand they help you win.”A pattern that will have to continue if the Steelers want to avoid missing the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time this millennium.“We’ve got to be mentally tough,” cornerback Ike Taylor said. “We know it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”NOTES: Coach Mike Tomlin said LB LaMarr Woodley, DE Brett Keisel and G Ramon Foster will have a chance to play against the Browns. All three starters sat out the Lions game because of injury. … The Steelers signed former Pitt running back Ray Graham to the practice squad on Tuesday. Graham rushed for 3,271 yards in four seasons with the Panthers from 2009-2012.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
View comments Nets’ Dinwiddie wins skills challenge John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice Booker, the 21-year-old sharpshooter in his third season with Phoenix, is averaging 24.2 points per game this season as the NBA’s 12th-leading scorer. Eleven months after the shooting guard dropped 70 points against Boston to become the youngest player in NBA history to score even 60 in a game, Booker added another accolade to his promising career with the 3-Point title.Thompson beat the buzzer with his final shot of the first round to reach the finals with 19 points. Booker also scored 19 and Harris had 18. LOS ANGELES, CA – FEBRUARY 17: Devin Booker accepts the trophy for the 2018 JBL Three-Point Contest at Staples Center on February 17, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images/AFPDevin Booker of the Phoenix Suns won the 3-point contest with a record 28 points in the final round. He beat 2016 champion Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors and Tobias Harris of the Los Angeles Clippers.“It feels really good,” Booker said. “I wanted to go out there and make a name for myself.”ADVERTISEMENT Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Did he ever. He was sensational in the final round on Saturday, when he missed only five of 25 shots.Each player shot five five-ball racks with a one-minute time limit. The final ball of each one was a “money ball” worth two points, and one of the racks, usually the last one, was all money balls. Booker made the money ball shot on his first four racks, and then made four of the five balls on the money ball rack.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutHarris, Booker and Thompson advanced from the eight-man field to the finals. Harris scored 17 points before Booker scorched the nets for 28 points. Thompson followed and scored 25 points.The previous record was 27 points, set by Stephen Curry in 2015 and matched by Thompson the following year. Read Next LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. AFP official booed out of forum MOST READ 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting
Indian women went down to the Singaporeans 0-3 in the team table tennis final on Friday, thereby having to settle for a silver medal at the Yamuna Sports Complex.However, the bigger disappointment was the men losing to England 1-3 in the team semi-final.The 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medallists will now face Nigeria in the bronze medal match on Saturday.The Singapore team had players of Chinese origin and two of their players are in the top-10. The highestranked Indian player was Mouma Das at 214. Mouma gave a tough fight to World No. 3 Feng Tiawei before losing 5-11, 3-11, 11-9, 7-11.World No. 5 Wang Yuegu easily defeated K. Shamini 11-7, 11-7, 11-5.Poulomi Ghatak took the first game 12- 10 against World No. 23 Li Jiawei. But the Singaporean came back strongly to take the next three games 11-7, 11-9, 11-5 to seal the gold medal for her side.Malaysia beat England 3-2 to seal the bronze.The defeat of the men’s team was unexpected. When Achanta Sharath won his first match against Liam Pitchford 11- 8, 11- 4, 11- 8, it seemed that another easy win was on the cards.In the second match Anthony Arputharaj came back from a deficit twice against Paul Drinkhall and had reached match point at 10- 6 in the fifth game. But then nerves and a controversial umpiring decision went against him. The break was all that Drinkhall needed as he sealed the contest 11- 8, 4- 11, 11- 5, 7-11, 12-10.With the match poised at 1-1, Subhajit Saha went down in straight games 4-11, 10-12, 8-11 to Andrew Baggaley. It put a lot of pressure on Sharath’s shoulders in the fourth match and for once he could not deliver.advertisementDrinkhall, who had beaten the world number 40 previously, repeated his feat and closed the deal with a 11-9, 11-5, 10- 12, 11-4 victory.
Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Undas tradition: 2 mom’s crusade against trash at cemeteries PLAY LIST 01:44Undas tradition: 2 mom’s crusade against trash at cemeteries01:1355,000 early birds flock at Manila North Cemetery00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netANTIPOLO CITY—Blackwater is off to one of its best starts in franchise history going 5-1 in its first six games in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup after a 132-106 thrashing of NLEX on Saturday at Ynares Center hereThe Elite are currently atop the league standings after their brutal beatdown of the Road Warriors and star rookie Bobby Ray Parks said it’s a testament to the team’s character and willingness to deliver.ADVERTISEMENT Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Parks had plenty of help in import Alex Stepheson who had 21 points, 17 rebounds, and five assists, and forward Allein Maliksi who also had 21 points, nine of which came in the fourth.Parks, despite the huge offensive outing, said the Elite still have to improve on defense after allowing the Road Warriors to shoot at a 44.9 percent clip.“Both teams played great offense but at the end of the day, we still got to work on our defense,” said Parks. “I think we should have limited them more.”ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Fueling the Elite’s win was their blistering offense with three players scoring at least 20 points and two more putting up at least 10.Blackwater shot the ball with such efficiency, converting 50 of its 88 attempts and going 13-of-25 from beyond the three-point arch.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“It’s the character of the team, we have a lot of scorers and a lot of people took sacrifices to let other players play their game,” said Parks, who finished with 29 points five assists, and two steals.“Anybody can pop off at any given night and that’s great firepower to have.” MOST READ View comments Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ray Parks scores 29, Blackwater rips NLEX
By Eden RichardsIt was a day of thrilling finishes in the Men’s Elite Eight on day one of the 2016 National Touch League. Two Queensland teams remain undefeated with the QLD Titans notching three wins from three starts and the QLD Cowboys securing two wins and a draw. The Alliance are yet to get off the mark and therefore sit last at the foot of the table on zero wins. They will need everything to go their way tomorrow if they are to mount an unlikely charge to the finals. In a sign of how close the Men’s Elite Eight is this year, just under half of the games played on day one were decided by one touchdown or less. The Women’s Elite Eight featured close contests all day and after 12 games one standout team has emerged.The Queensland Broncos went through three games unbeaten and look the side to beat for the title. The New South Wales Rebels, New South Wales Mets and Titans are all one game back on the standings but it appears there may be a gap in class between the chasers and last year’s champions. The New South Wales Country Mavericks sit on one win and will need to seriously improve on day two if they are to figure in the finals. It was a horrid day for the Scorpions and The Alliance as neither managed to chalk up a win. The Rebels’ six touchdown win over The Alliance was the biggest win of the day and they will need more of the same if they are to catch the Broncos. Day two will begin at 9am on Thursday. Related LinksElite Eight Day One
Guardiola excuses Sterling as Man City beat Leicester in Cup shootoutby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City have reached the Carabao Cup semifinals after beating Leicester City on penalties.A poor quality shootout saw the home side miss three penalties while a dinked effort went wrong for Raheem Sterling before Oleksandr Zinchenko stepped up to emphatically thump the decisive kick into the top corner to take his side through.Pep Guardiola’s side took the lead in the first half through Kevin de Bruyne’s first goal of the season – a sweet, low drive into the bottom corner.Leicester were poor in the first half but regrouped at half-time and levelled the contest through Marc Albrighton’s well-struck effort before crumbling in the shootout.Guardiola said afterwards: “A tough game, it is always difficult at Leicester. We played with a guy who is 17 years old and some injured players, it was a good game.”Raheem took that decision [to chip his penalty], unfortunately he missed it but that is OK.”Asked about Jose Mourinho’s sacking, he added: “I am always sad for the manager when that happens. We are alone in that situation. I am close to all of the managers. You are sacked when results are not good.”He doesn’t need me, he is so strong. I wish him all the best and he will be back soon.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Atletico Madrid coach Simeone unsurprised Bayern Munich want Lucasby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAtletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone isn’t surprised Bayern Munich want to sign Lucas Hernandez.Simeone was keen to turn attention onto the pitch, but repeatedly fielded questions about those who could be on their way out of the Wanda Metropolitano this winter.”We know that until the window closes we cannot be calm,” Simeone said when asked about Lucas Hernandez’s future.”There is always the possibility when you have extraordinary players that big clubs like Bayern Munich will want them.”I live in the present and today we have him, like [Diego] Godin, [Jan] Oblak, Filipe [Luis] and Juanfran.”We have to look at what really matters to us, which is Sevilla.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Barcelona exploring prospect of signing Chelsea striker Morataby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona are exploring the prospect of signing Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata.Sport says Barcelona are pondering a loan swoop for Morata.The out-of-favour Blues forward has just five goals in 16 Premier League games this term.Barca are undecided over whether to sign a striker in the winter window but Morata is among the names they are considering should they decide to bolster their frontline.The Catalan giants have apparently already enquired about Morata’s situation but are yet to make a formal offer to the Blues.Barcelona have allowed Munir El Haddadi to leave for Sevilla, which could open the door for them to swoop for Morata.