Flood emergency triggers crackdown on journalists in Iran

first_img IranMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesOnline freedoms ImprisonedInternetCitizen-journalists “The Iranian authorities continue to persecute journalists, even during an emergency of this scale when media coverage is essential for the affected population,” said Reza Moini, the head of RSF’s Iran desk. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the latest crackdown on the media in Iran, in which around 30 journalists and citizen-journalists have been summoned, questioned or arrested in the past few weeks. Professional journalists, who are constantly exposed to harassment, have done their best to cover the crisis and some have accused the authorities of not being prepared for an emergency of this scale. Several reporters have been hounded by militias and Revolutionary Guards, and in some cases summoned for questioning, especially in Khuzestan province. Receive email alerts RSF_en The crackdown has above all been prompted by online criticism of the slow pace with which the authorities have responded to massive flooding in around 25 provinces since 22 March. At least 76 people have died in this “unprecedented phenomenon,” according to the government. Organisation Help by sharing this information Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Follow the news on Iran IranMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesOnline freedoms ImprisonedInternetCitizen-journalists After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists Intelligence operatives arrested Mohamad Reza Nasab Abdolahi, the editor of the Anar Press and Aban Press websites, on a street in the city of Anar on 21 April and searched his homes, confiscating his mobile phone and other personal items. His family do not know where or why he is being held. When Abdolahi was previously arrested in February 2005, he was sentenced to six months in prison and a fine of 1 million rials. The FTA (Iran’s cyber-police) announced on 13 April that 24 people had been arrested in the southern province of Khuzestan for “posting rumours and false information in order to confuse public opinion.” April 29, 2019 Flood emergency triggers crackdown on journalists in Iran News News to go further News June 9, 2021 Find out more News Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists March 18, 2021 Find out more Social networks have often been the only source of information for flood victims, but prosecutor-general Mohammad Jafar Montazeri announced on 28 March that “any posts on this subject will be regarded as attack on national security.” Iran is ranked 170th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. February 25, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Colombia’s Antioquia Military Guard Captures Alleged Drug Gang Leader

first_imgIn 2000, Becerro allegedly participated in an attack that killed 21 police officers and eight civilians in the Department of Antioquia, according to the Defense Ministry. In Colombia, all of the business oligarchy grows marijuana and that is where their great wealth is from. Because there is no data on large plantings of vegetables, bananas, oranges, yucca, corn, beans, green beans, etc. etc. Becerro died on the bank of the Opogadó River in the Department of Chocó, the Defense Ministry said on March 9. Sword of Honor III is a continuation of Sword of Honor, which is a counterinsurgency effort launched by the Colombian Armed Forces in 2012 to confront and defeat illegal groups nationwide. Under the initiative, Soldiers and Troops combat terrorist attacks, dismantle landmines, and persuade guerrillas to demobilize and enroll in a government program that provides them with training so they can enter the workforce. The suspect was wanted on charges of manufacturing and possessing narcotics, aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder, and aggravated conspiracy with the intent to commit extortion. His capture, part of the Sword of Honor III campaign, occurred less than two weeks after the Colombian National Army’s General José María Mantilla Artillery Battalion No. 18 seized 490 kilograms of marijuana that allegedly belonged to the National Liberation Army (ELN) in the Department of Arauca. Both were found in the in the Department of Gracias a Dios, which is on Honduras’ Caribbean border with Nicaragua; one was about 1,300 meters long, and the other 900 meters long. Soldiers destroyed them with explosives. The Honduran Army recently destroyed two clandestine airstrips used by narcotraffickers, raising the total number of strips disabled this year by the country’s security forces to more than 150, José Antonio Coello, a spokesman for National Interagency Security Force (FUSINA), said on March 9. Drug trafficking groups use Honduras as a transshipment point to transport cocaine and other illegal substances from South America to Mexico, the United States, and Europe. Nearly 90 percent of the cocaine that reaches the United States passes through Central America and Mexico, according to the United Nations International Narcotics Control Board. Honduran Army destroys two landing strips used by narcotraffickers By Dialogo March 19, 2015 Head of FARC’s 57th Front dies in shootout with Colombian National Army, Police Honduran security forces made significant progress in the fight against drug trafficking in 2014, seizing more than 40,000 kilograms of narcotics, including about 11,500 kilograms of cocaine, according to the government. Colombian National Army Troops and police officers recently killed José David Suárez, the leader of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia’s (FARC) 57th Front in a gun battle. Suárez, who was also known as “Becerro,” (calf in Spanish) was wanted for killing dozens of civilians during an attack in 2002. Head of FARC’s 57th Front dies in shootout with Colombian National Army, Police In 2000, Becerro allegedly participated in an attack that killed 21 police officers and eight civilians in the Department of Antioquia, according to the Defense Ministry. He was “the main drug dealer in northwestern Colombia” and had been wanted on charges of drug trafficking, terrorism, and attacks on civilians and security forces, according to the statement. He had been in the FARC for 36 years, and oversaw cocaine shipments to Central and North America. Both were found in the in the Department of Gracias a Dios, which is on Honduras’ Caribbean border with Nicaragua; one was about 1,300 meters long, and the other 900 meters long. Soldiers destroyed them with explosives. The suspect was wanted on charges of manufacturing and possessing narcotics, aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder, and aggravated conspiracy with the intent to commit extortion. His capture, part of the Sword of Honor III campaign, occurred less than two weeks after the Colombian National Army’s General José María Mantilla Artillery Battalion No. 18 seized 490 kilograms of marijuana that allegedly belonged to the National Liberation Army (ELN) in the Department of Arauca. Troops with Antioquia’s Military Guard partnered with the Specialized Judicial Police Directorate against Organized Crime (PCO-CTI) and the Attorney General’s Office to capture the alleged leader of the La Esmeralda narcotrafficking gang in Antioquia Department, the Colombian National Army reported on March 7. The Honduran Army recently destroyed two clandestine airstrips used by narcotraffickers, raising the total number of strips disabled this year by the country’s security forces to more than 150, José Antonio Coello, a spokesman for National Interagency Security Force (FUSINA), said on March 9. Colombian National Army Troops and police officers recently killed José David Suárez, the leader of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia’s (FARC) 57th Front in a gun battle. Suárez, who was also known as “Becerro,” (calf in Spanish) was wanted for killing dozens of civilians during an attack in 2002. Honduran security forces made significant progress in the fight against drug trafficking in 2014, seizing more than 40,000 kilograms of narcotics, including about 11,500 kilograms of cocaine, according to the government. Sword of Honor III is a continuation of Sword of Honor, which is a counterinsurgency effort launched by the Colombian Armed Forces in 2012 to confront and defeat illegal groups nationwide. Under the initiative, Soldiers and Troops combat terrorist attacks, dismantle landmines, and persuade guerrillas to demobilize and enroll in a government program that provides them with training so they can enter the workforce. Honduran Army destroys two landing strips used by narcotraffickers Drug trafficking groups use Honduras as a transshipment point to transport cocaine and other illegal substances from South America to Mexico, the United States, and Europe. Nearly 90 percent of the cocaine that reaches the United States passes through Central America and Mexico, according to the United Nations International Narcotics Control Board. Troops with Antioquia’s Military Guard partnered with the Specialized Judicial Police Directorate against Organized Crime (PCO-CTI) and the Attorney General’s Office to capture the alleged leader of the La Esmeralda narcotrafficking gang in Antioquia Department, the Colombian National Army reported on March 7. He was “the main drug dealer in northwestern Colombia” and had been wanted on charges of drug trafficking, terrorism, and attacks on civilians and security forces, according to the statement. He had been in the FARC for 36 years, and oversaw cocaine shipments to Central and North America. Becerro died on the bank of the Opogadó River in the Department of Chocó, the Defense Ministry said on March 9. last_img read more

Students unable to attend conference

first_img“We have no idea if we get a virtual pitch or a certificate for being a top five finalist, or if the event is going to be delayed — we just have no clue on what’s coming next,” narrative director Anahita Dalmia said. “Our spectrum of uncertainty is in regards to what do we do now that we don’t have this opportunity and how do we make up for the opportunity costs?”  The team was relying heavily on the project to make connections and interact with members of the entertainment industry and introduce their plan to create Alterea, a company that creates events and games on alternative realities designed to have the audience actively contribute to the story through decisions they take while interacting with the characters to affect the outcome of the story. “That’s our personal next step because we strongly believe in the format that we’ve created and the potential of it,” Dalmia said. “It’s very experimental and everything can crash and burn and blow up in our face, but that’s a risk we are currently willing and able to take.” Student game designers were hoped to present their ideas on their game ASCEND, a game that immerses the audience in a mythological world through puzzle and improvisation games. (Photo courtesy of ASCEND) “All of us were really excited about going to the conference,” said Dalmia, a senior majoring in narrative studies. “Me and my three other teammates — we intend to start a company next — were hoping that this would be a way for us to get sponsorship traction for our next events and potentially even clients.” The team that planned to attend SXSW, which included Dalmia, McCarthy, Barbato, design director Nick Griffith, a senior majoring in architectural design, and games director Madeleine Dile, a 2019 alumna, also suffered financial losses for flight tickets and accommodations.  ASCEND creators premiered the game, which immersed students into the worlds of Greek, Egyptian, Chinese and Mayan mythology, last March. More than 400 people attended the event.(Photos courtesy of ASCEND) Dalmia, who heard about SXSW — an annual festival that invites filmmakers, music festival representatives and different interactive media creators to promote their upcoming projects and events — canceling Friday by an email from event representatives, said team members were disappointed that they would miss out on the opportunities provided by the event. She said they were looking forward to networking and meeting individuals interested in hiring entertainment designers. The team is currently waiting to hear from organizers about next steps. Dalmia said she does not know what will happen in the future.  Five USC student and alumni game designers will no longer travel to Austin, Texas Thursday after growing concern regarding the spread of coronavirus led to the canceling of the 2020 South by Southwest Innovation Awards. The students planned to present their game ASCEND at SXSW but the city of Austin canceled the festival Friday amid public health concerns regarding large gatherings. “It was disappointing,” said administrative director Anastasia Barbato, a senior majoring in narrative studies and nongovernmental organizations and social change. “We thought of it as a good networking opportunity, and a good opportunity to meet with other people in the entertainment industry, and generally get our names out there.” The show premiered in March 2019 at the Ronald Tutor Campus Center Ballroom with more than 400 people in attendance. After their premiere, the group worked on creating a proposal for the 2020 SXSW conference that included shooting promotional videos to showcase their game design that was submitted in August. They were one of the 65 student submissions and chosen as one of the five finalists invited to Austin to showcase their project on March 14.  ASCEND, an interactive performance where actors portray mythological characters, was selected in the Student Innovation Award category at the 2020 SXSW Innovation Awards in January. The game uses Greek, Egyptian, Chinese and Mayan characters to portray modern issues such as environmental protection and gender parity and encourages the audience to interact with the narrative of the story through games and puzzles.  “What we’ve lost is minuscule compared to the amount of money a lot of other people have lost,” Dalmia said. “I think it was mostly $100 to $500 [each] because we were choosing to stay with friends and relatives … We are kind of trying to be mindful of the fact that the situation was completely out of our control.” “It’s mostly just a huge disappointment, you know, a lost opportunity,” said 2019 alumnus and creative director Jack McCarthy. “I think all of us are still hoping to be able to present somehow, if it [is through] digital, if it is through an application, so that there is still a chance that we can get this award.” In the meantime, Dalmia plans to work with Griffiths and Barbato for ASCEND to work with other organizations in Los Angeles by putting on an event similar to ASCEND but themed to Clifton Republic’s Hollywood history in July. She believes the group will have the opportunity to learn from this collaboration with the company.  “There’s definitely a lot of opportunities that we’re not going to get to have now,” McCarthy said. “There are a lot of connections that could have been made. There’s a lot of … development that is not going to happen anymore.”last_img read more

Klopp ready to unleash Coutinho against Burnley

first_imgLiverpool Klopp set to unleash Coutinho against Burnley after positive fan reaction Rob Lancaster Last updated 2 years ago 21:45 15/9/2017 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Philippe Coutinho)_cropped Getty Images Liverpool Philippe Coutinho Liverpool v Burnley Burnley Premier League The Liverpool manager says the Brazilian has been “outstanding” in training and hints that he is ready to hand him a start on Saturday Jurgen Klopp praised the Anfield crowd for the way they reacted to Philippe Coutinho’s return – and hinted the Brazilian could start against Burnley on Saturday.Coutinho 4/1 to score firstAfter failing to force a move to Barcelona, Coutinho made his first club appearance of the season as a second-half substitute in Tuesday’s 2-2 Champions League draw with Sevilla. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘I’m getting better’ – Can Man Utd flop Fred save his Old Trafford career? Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing The home fans greeted the sight of the 25-year-old on the touchline with applause, although the replacement was unable to mark his comeback by helping Liverpool grab a late winner in their Group E opener.With Sadio Mane unavailable for the weekend, Coutinho is ready to replace his suspended team-mate for the clash with Sean Dyche’s side on Saturday, according to his manager.”You can get minutes when you start. He should be ready,” Klopp told a media conference.”It was really nice how the crowd welcomed him. Nobody was 100 per cent sure about this – I think for him it was good. He was outstanding in training in the few sessions we’ve had so far.”The game was not perfect, but that’s how it is after the long break. However, it helped him and it helped us.”Klopp: “[Phil Coutinho] trained outstanding in the few sessions we had together. For sure, he’s ready to think about [as a starter].” pic.twitter.com/dwsNKkHsMh— Liverpool FC (@LFC) September 15, 2017Mane will sit out Liverpool’s next three domestic fixtures after his red card in the 5-0 away defeat to Manchester City.However, Klopp is confident the squad can cope in the absence of the Senegal international, just as they did at the end of last season when he was sidelined for the run-in due to a serious knee injury.”It was clear before the season that there would be moments when he cannot – or should not – play,” the German said of Mane.”That’s how we reacted when building the squad. We have options – enough options.”Roberto [Firmino] already played left and Phil can play there. Alex [Oxlade-Chamberlain] can play there too. We can change the system as well, so we can do a lot of things.”Adam Lallana won’t feature against Burnley, however, with Klopp revealing the England international will start running again “this week, or the beginning of next week” as he steps up his recovery from a thigh injury. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the weblast_img read more