Financial hand-breaks slow Nyayo progress

first_imgThis, it has been established has been occasioned by the slow disbursement of funds.The National Assembly Committee on Sports visited both Nyayo and Kasarani Stadia on Thursday afternoon but was not very pleased with the progress of work made at Nyayo, Kenya’s second biggest stadium.The contractors had calculated the progress at a high 85pc, but Committee Chair Victor Munyaka was not sold, saying at most the progress was at 35pc.“We have seen better progress in Kasarani. We as a committee really feel unhappy because the government did not honor the funding to be able to complete this stadium in time”Lexis International Chief Contractor Chandresh Babariya (far left) with the chair of The National Assembly Committee on Sports accompanied by Sports Principle Secretary Ambassador Karimi Kaberia during the inspection of the Nyayo National Stadium on June 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“We are requesting that whatever money is available for this stadium should be released immediately,” Munyaka said after completing the tour of the two facilities.He added; “We have received information from the contractor that there are many pending bills. If the contractor is working under pressure he can’t be able to do a decent work.”Babariya told Capital Sport that they have received close to 43pc of the entire budgetary allocation with Sh300mn having been set for the builder’s work while a further Sh26mn had been set aside for the constructor’s work.Construction work going on at the Nyayo National Stadium as at June 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluWhile Kasarani’s work mostly revolves around the playing surface, Nyayo has been undergoing an almost entire overhaul.The VIP dias and changing rooms are being constructed afresh with a new office block while the pitch is also being completely overhauled.Sports Principal Secretary Ambassador Kirimi Kaberia said they are in negotiations with treasury to speed up the availability of the Sh120mn deficit. The ministry received Sh525mn in the budget of which Sh150mn was dedicated to the ongoing works at Nyayo.Chair of The National Assembly Committee on Sports accompanied by Sports Principle Secretary Ambassador Karimi Kaberia during the inspection of the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani on June 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“As a committee the reason we are here is because we have been concerned with the slow progress. We will come up with a report which will also help the government increase the budgetary allocation for the work,” Munyaka noted.He added; “This financial year the ministry has been given Sh525mn against a pending bill of Sh1.119bn which means this committee may require to intervene during the supplementary budget. This committee is very unhappy because of the level of funding to the sports department.”“The minimum allocation required is around Sh2.8bn for all the stadia and they got a paltry Sh525mn. This is a new committee and part of our duty now is to ensure that the ministry is no longer underfunded,”Kaberia added that the ministry takes responsibility for the delay in completion of works but has promised they will push to ensure the funds are released for the completion of works.-What is being done at Nyayo?Construction work going on at the Nyayo National Stadium as at June 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluThe VIP dias is being remodeled to mirror the one at the Kasarani Stadium. Behind it, a new office block with VIP hospitality rooms being constructed as well.The contractors say they will put up a shed around the entire stadium as opposed to before when it was only the VIP area covered.The changing rooms have also been shifted from below the VIP dias and moved to the left side of the stadium.The pitch has been entirely redone. Gregori International who laid the pitch at Kasarani is doing the same job at Nyayo. Currently, they have done the entire drainage system and laid the first layer of sand before the grass is laid.The Swimming pool area is also being re-worked. For the lovers of beer and a bit of nyama choma pre and post match, your favorite restaurants KucheKuche and Poolside have been demolished and they will not be existent when the refurbished stadium is opened up.0Shares0000(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Members of The National Assembly Committee on Sports accompanied by Sports Principle Secretary Ambassador Karimi Kaberia inspecting the Nyayo National Stadium on June 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 28- Lexis International Chief Contractor Chandresh Babariya has promised the Nyayo National Stadium constructor and builder’s works will be completed in six weeks; but, only if the Sports Ministry meets the end of their bargain by availing the cash needed.The Stadium which has been closed for renovation from last year had initially been set to be opened by the end of April, but two months down the line, work at the stadium is nowhere near complete.last_img read more

Groves lining up world title challenge

first_imgGeorge Groves intends to face the winner of next month’s world title clash between Arthur Abraham and Robert Stieglitz.The pair meet in Germany for Abraham’s WBO belt – a week after Groves takes on Mouhamed Ali Ndiaye at Wembley Arena for the vacant European super-middleweight crown.Groves was due to fight Stieglitz – then the WBO champion – last March but was forced to withdraw from the bout because of an injury.Stieglitz subsequently lost to Abraham and unbeaten Commonwealth champion Groves is in line to take on the winner of their rematch.The 24-year-old from Hammersmith is the WBO’s number one contender and therefore the mandatory challenger.Groves said: “With me being number one in the WBO that is the direction that I’m going in and I’ve got to keep an eye on these guys as I’ll be looking to fight the winner next.“I’m focused on the fight in hand first, though, against Ndiaye, and winning the European title. But once I come through that I want to be in Germany to see Abraham against Stieglitz up close.“I was gutted when I couldn’t take on Stieglitz last year as I’m confident I would have beaten him as Abraham went on to do, and I’d be the world champion now. But my time will come.”Groves v Ndiaye is on 16 March and features as chief support on a card joint-headlined by WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns’ unification showdown against IBF champion Miguel Vazquez, and WBO light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly’s defence against Robin Krasniqi.West Londoners Steve O’Meara, Gary Corcoran and Mitchell Smith are also due to feature on the bill.It will be screened on BoxNation (Sky channel 437/Virgin channel 546). Join at www.boxnation.comTickets are available from the Eventim box office on 0844 249 100 or eventim.co.uk and the Wembley Arena box office on 0844 815 0815 or wembleyarena.co.ukSee also:Dominant Groves easily sees off JohnsonGroves tipped to win world title in 2013Groves set to fight for European title Groves to fight for title at Wembley ArenaTrio in action on Groves’ Wembley bill The press conference to announce Groves’ Wembley returnTrainer Booth discusses George Groves’ European title fightGroves ready to add European belt to his title collectionGroves warned ahead of title 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Cape Town’s Open Streets bring the people out to play

first_imgCapetonians make the streets of Observatory their own for a day. (Image: Rory Williams) 20 February 2014Get out your car and on your bike, skateboard or feet. Cape Town’s new Open Streets movement takes an old idea from Bogotá, Colombia, and turns city thoroughfares over to residents, who use the space for breaking down social barriers – and having a lot of fun.Read more on Media Club South Africa: Cape Town’s Open Streets bring the people out to playlast_img

Canadian who plotted terror attacks deserves life in prison US prosecutors

first_imgAmerican prosecutors are requesting a life sentence for a Canadian man who admitted to plotting terrorist attacks on New York City landmarks at the behest of a high-ranking Islamic State operative.Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy, a 20-year-old from Mississauga, Ont., pleaded guilty in October 2016 to planning bombings and mass shootings at Times Square, in subway stations and at concert venues while still a teenager.With his sentencing scheduled for April 9, American federal prosecutors have asked a judge to send El Bahnasawy to prison for life, in accordance with U.S. guidelines for punishing similar terror offences.“El Bahnasawy’s willingness to kill innocent civilians and martyr himself for ISIS, his absolute commitment to ISIS at the time of his arrest, and his deeply disturbing conduct since then … powerfully support a single conclusion: the incapacitation of El Bahnasawy should be total and lifelong,” U.S. prosecutor Geoffrey Berman said in a written submission filed to a New York federal court.El Bahnasawy’s lawyers have requested a sentence “no greater than necessary to comply with (the law),” and suggested he be released from custody in his mid-twenties, “when his cognitive development will be complete.”El Bahnasawy, a Canadian citizen who emigrated from Kuwait as a child, spent several months in treatment at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto in 2014, court documents show.In a handwritten letter submitted to the court on March 2, El Bahnasawy apologized for his behaviour and asked for a “second chance,” recounting his years of substance abuse, mental health issues and multiple suicide attempts.“I want to experience life away from drugs and away from war and violence,” he wrote. “I want a stable life and I want to stop having extreme turns that keep getting me in trouble, like my turn towards drugs or my turn towards jihad.”But Berman argued in his submission to the court that neither mental illness nor addiction justify, explain or mitigate El Bahnasawy’s criminal actions.“If anything, El Bahnasawy’s asserted instabilities and addictive tendencies only further underscore the need for a sentence of life imprisonment to protect the public from a future attack or other criminal conduct by El Bahnasawy,” Berman said.Since being incarcerated in a New York corrections facility, El Bahnasawy has used opioids and marijuana multiple times, and “marked the walls of his prison cell with images and statements expressing his support for ISIS and terrorist attacks, and warning that more attacks were to come,” Berman said in his submission.One photo of El Bahnasawy’s cell walls submitted to court shows a scrawled list of high-profile terror attacks, including 9/11 and the Boston Marathon bombing, encircled by what appears to be a heart and the words, “and more coming.”El Bahnasawy began communicating online with Islamic State followers in 2015, Berman said in his submission.In 2016, at the request of a high-ranking member of the terror organization, El Bahnasawy began planning a suicide attack on New York that was to include the detonation of improvised explosive devices at Times Square and in subways, and mass shootings at concert venues, court documents show.El Bahnasawy recruited other purported Islamic State sympathizers to help co-ordinate and carry out the attacks, including one man who, unbeknownst to him, was an undercover FBI agent.On May 21, 2016, under the guise of taking a family vacation, El Bahnasawy, then 18, drove to Cranford, N.J., with his parents and sisters to set the attack in motion, unaware that he was being heavily monitored by U.S. law enforcement.He was arrested by the FBI upon his arrival.El Bahnasawy pleaded guilty in October 2016 to multiple offences that included conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiracy to commit acts of terrorism transcending national boundaries, conspiracy to bomb a public place and public transportations system and providing and attempting to provide material support.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version had an incorrect date for El Bahnasawy’s guilty plea.last_img read more